Neighbour’s dramatic rescue of teen from smoke-filled Sheffield home

editorial image

A hero neighbour has been praised by firefighters after climbing a ladder to rescue a teenage girl from a smoke-filled house.

The man sprang into action after the youngster was trapped in an upstairs bedroom of the house on Badger Close, Woodhouse.

Robyn O'Brien's home on Badger Close, Woodhouse, where a chip pan fire broke out

Robyn O'Brien's home on Badger Close, Woodhouse, where a chip pan fire broke out

A chip pan had caught fire and heavy smoke was spreading through the property.

The 18-year-old girl had already called firefighters and was being given fire survival advice when the man put a ladder against the building, climbed up and rescued her.

Watch manager Michael Betts, of Sheffield’s Mansfield Road fire station, said: “The neighbour showed community spirit in helping the young woman out of the property.

“I would congratulate the neighbour for his action. Although we were on our way, she would have potentially suffered a lot worse from smoke inhalation and her condition could have been more serious.”

Mr Betts added that firefighters were concerned that the address did not have smoke alarms, and that there was no door between the kitchen and lounge, which would have prevented smoke spreading.

He said: “Cases like this show just how important it is to have smoke alarms and doors which close at night to prevent the spread of smoke.”

Mr Betts said he believed the neighbour was alerted to the situation after hearing the girl on her mobile phone to the fire service.

Firefighters said fire damage was confined to the kitchen, although the rest of the property was smoke-logged.

It is believed the teenage girl was alerted after she could smell smoke.

The incident happened at about 2am on Saturday morning.

■ Five residents including a pensioner with mobility problems were evacuated to safety by firefighters after arsonists set fire to a bin chute for the second time in two weeks.

Firefighters were called to the flats at Spa Lane, Woodhouse, at 11pm on Friday night.

Residents were evacuated because smoke had started to spread into their homes.

Police are investigating the blaze.

There was also a fire at allotments on Sheffield Road, Woodhouse, at 8.20pm on Friday.