News In Brief: Firefighters warn of candle danger

RESIDENTS are being warned to take care with candles after a fire in the bedroom of a Sheffield flat.

Firefighters were called to an address on Collegiate Crescent, on Christmas Day at about 9.30pm, after a candle left burning set fire to the CD case it had been standing on and a television beneath.

The occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm.

The flat and neighbouring homes in the building were evacuated.

Watch manager Des Omar, of Central Fire Station, said: “The message with candles is not to leave them unattended – and make sure you have a working smoke alarm.”

Garage left gutted

FIRE broke out and ‘totally gutted’ the garage of a South Yorkshire home.

An investigation is taking place into the cause of the incident, which happened on Christmas Day at 8pm, on Whinmoor Close, Silkstone.

The flames were spreading up a staircase into the house when they were extinguished by firefighters.

There was no car inside the garage.