Partick Thistle 1 Rotherham United 1: Millers unbeaten in Scotland

Paul Green shoots against Partick Thistle. Picture: Jim Brailsford
Paul Green shoots against Partick Thistle. Picture: Jim Brailsford

Rotherham United ended their pre-season tour of Scotland with a 1-1 draw against Scottish Premiership outfit Partick Thistle at Firhill Stadium.

The Millers lead through Matt Derbyshire’s first goal of pre-season, but were pegged back in the second half by a long-range effort by Thistle’s Sean Welsh.

Emmanuel Ledesma

Emmanuel Ledesma

Steve Evans’ side ended their tour north of the border unbeaten after previously beating Dundee and Greenock Morton, although they were denied a clean sweep of victories against a well drilled Partick outfit.

Boss Evans again gave 90 minutes to several members of his side including goalkeeper Adam Collin, Greg Halford and Jonson Clarke-Harris,

New signing Chris Maguire did not feature in the squad and is expected to join up with his new teammates today.

The Millers started brightly against a Partick side who begin their league campaign next weekend, with Emmanuel Ledesma at the heart of most of their best work in the first half.

Grant Ward

Grant Ward

It was his pinpoint 13th minute cross which picked out Clarke-Harris but he misdirected his header wide of the far post. Four minutes later Ledesma was involved again when he expertly collected a pass from Paul Green, before skilfully beating Gary Miller, but his shot from just inside the area was palmed away Thistle stopper Tomas Cerny.

Click here for Steve Evans’ thoughts on Chris Maguire

With 10 minutes remaining until the break, the Millers broke the deadlock. Frazer Richardson swung in a cross from the right and Derbyshire rose highest to beat the onrushing Cerny to head into an unguarded net.

Cerny made amends for his costly error by sprinting off his line to intercept a promising charge forward by Clarke-Harris, as Evans’ side went in search of more goals.

Partick’s best moments came from former Carlisle winger David Amoo, who was making life difficult for Aidy White who was filling in for the injured Joe Mattock at left-back.

Green should have doubled the Millers advantage just before the break after stumbling his way into the box, but he dragged his shot wide of the near post.

The hosts stunned Rotherham at the start of the second half by restoring parity with their first effort on target. Welsh’s daisy-cutter from 30 yards caught out Collin who saw the ball late, as the Millers’ watertight defence leaked their first goal of the Scottish tour.

Rotherham responded and missed a good chance to instantly go back in front when Clarke-Harris headed wide from Lee Frecklington’s centre.

Partick missed two half-chances of their own, with Stevenson heading wide from a Steven Lawless cross and Stevenson again missing the target soon after with a shot from the angle.

Jordan Bowery had the Millers last meaningful effort with a shot which flashed wide of the far post from 20 yards.

The game petered out into a draw with the inevitable flurry of late substitutions, but Evans will be pleased with the workout, with a tougher test coming up against Premier League Leicester City at AESSEAL New York Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Goals: Derbyshire (for Rotherham); Welsh (for Partick).

Partick Thistle: Cerny, Miller, Frans (Hendry h-t), Lindsay, Booth (Wilson h-t), Amoo (McDaid 71), Welsh (Leyden 77), Bannigan, Elliott (Penrice 85), Fraser (Lawless 56), Stevenson (Doolan 65). Sub not used: Gallacher.

Rotherham United: Collin, Richardson (Thorpe 85), Wood (Warren 67), Halford, White (Collins 85), Frecklington, Smallwood (G Ward 67), Green, Ledesma (Yates 61), Clarke-Harris, Derbyshire (Bowery h-t). Sub not used: Roos.

Referee: John McKendrick.

Attendance: 1,149 (166).