Sheffield bus collision pedestrian’s life-threatening injuries

Taped off: A Stagecoach 83 bus  on Furnival Gate.
Taped off: A Stagecoach 83 bus on Furnival Gate.

A PEDESTRIAN has suffered life-threatening injuries after being hit by a bus in Sheffield city centre - and the collision also closed a main bus route causing traffic chaos for workers heading home in the evening rush-hour.

A splash of blood stained the asphalt on Furnival Gate where the incident happened, while several police cars and bikes filled the area.

Traffic at a standstill on Pinsstone St  after an accident on Furnival Gate

Traffic at a standstill on Pinsstone St after an accident on Furnival Gate

A Stagecoach 83 bus stood in the road, which was closed to traffic and taped off on one side, creating long jams.

South Yorkshire Police Inspector Pete Serhatlic, who was in charge at the scene, said the pedestrian involved in the collision had been left with ‘life-threatening’ injuries.

He said: “There has been a serious collision between a bus and a pedestrian.”

Insp Serhatlic said officers were appealing for witnesses to establish how the incident occurred.

The crash happened at around 4.15pm and buses which normally used the affected route were diverted along Eyre Street.

One eyewitness said: “There were loads of police, four police cars and a few police bikes, and there was a big pool of blood in the road.”

Michael Harmes, a volunteer at the British Heart Foundation shop, said: “We were all shocked to hear about what had happened, it’s terrible really.”

Richard Fiddler, owner of the nearby Simply Fish and Chips shop, added: “There was a crowd around the area outside about 4pm and all the police turned up.”

A spokesman for Stagecoach said: “We can confirm an incident took place involving a service 83 and we are helping South Yorkshire Police with their investigation.

“As such, we are unable to comment further at this time.”

It is understood the man suffered head injuries in the collision.

Yorkshire Ambulance Service said the pedestrian had been taken to Northern General Hospital.

A spokesman added: “We received a call at 4.15pm to reports of a male pedestrian been knocked down by a bus.

We dispatched two ambulances and he was taken to the Northern General.”

■ Witnesses are asked to call police on 101.