Sheffield girl Amy will never be the same after horrific car crash

Carol Levers with 13-year-old daughter Amy Reynard, who is still in hospital six months after she was run over near her Rotherham home.
Carol Levers with 13-year-old daughter Amy Reynard, who is still in hospital six months after she was run over near her Rotherham home.

A MUM today told of her heartbreak as her bright, talented daughter lies barely conscious in a Sheffield Children’s Hospital bed, her life destroyed by a horrific car crash.

Doctors say Amy Reynard, aged 13, will never speak again, after receiving brain injuries when she was knocked down near her South Yorkshire home.

Since that terrible day six months ago, Amy, a pupil at Wingfield College, has undergone 13 operations to her head, stomach and legs.

She has a titanium plate in her head, a pump in her stomach and is in a ‘minimally-conscious’ state.

Yesterday, Amy was moved onto the hospital’s high dependency unit, as doctors try to control a problem with her breathing.

Her mum Carol Levers, 38, told The Star: “Drivers need to understand the consequences of what hitting a pedestrian can do.

“Amy has gone from a bright, sporty, mouthy teenager to this.

“They say she won’t walk or speak again.”

Carol has maintained a round-the-clock vigil at Amy’s bedside at Sheffield Children’s Hospital, sleeping in a chair next to her bed.

She has had to give up her job running a Salvation Army shop on Abbeydale Road, and her partner Sean, 47, has been left to look after her younger daughter Jemma, 10.

The couple are being forced to sell their home on Hudson Road, Kimberworth Park, Rotherham, because they need somewhere with better access for when Amy gets out of hospital.

Their lives were turned upside down on November 10 last year.

Amy, then aged 12, was walking with friends on Oaks Lane, a wide 40mph road, when she stumbled and fell off the pavement into the street, where she was stuck by an oncoming car.

She was rushed to Rotherham Hospital and then transferred to Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

By 9pm that night, less than three hours after the accident, Amy was in theatre having part of her skull removed to release pressure on her brain.

Carol said: “The doctors said she would never breathe for herself again. She had damaged the top, middle and bottom parts of her brain.

“We were talking about planning her funeral. We didn’t think she was going to make it.”

But when medics took Amy off the ventilator, onto a machine that would breathe for her, the teenager did not miss a breath.

“She proved them wrong,” Carol said. “She was breathing for herself.

“I don’t mind it when they say she won’t speak or walk again - because my daughter is a fighter.

“She has proved them wrong once, and she will prove them wrong again.”

Carol said police are still investigating the circumstances of the crash.