Sheffield OAP rescued from burning home

editorial image

An elderly man from Sheffield is spending Christmas Day in hospital after being rescued from his burning home by police officers.

The pensioner – who neighbours said is 98 years old – was pulled from his semi-detached house on Adlington Road, Southey Green.

Firefighters were taking strike action across South Yorkshire as the blaze took hold at around 7.15pm last night, but crews still mobilised from their strike base at Endcliffe Vale.

However police arrived first, and smashed a downstairs window to get in.

Flames had taken hold in the living room - and an investigation has already found the fire started from an electrical fault around the television plug socket.

Police said Mr Clarke was rushed to the Northern General Hospital, where he was reported to be conscious and breathing upon arrival.

It is believed he suffered the effects of breathing in smoke, but had no physical injuries.

Firefighters put out the fire, which was contained to the living room, and ventilated the property.

* See The Star tomorrow for the full story and pictures