The Open: Play finally restarts at St Andrews

USA's Dustin Johnson putts on the 18th during day three of The Open Championship 2015 at St Andrews, Fife
USA's Dustin Johnson putts on the 18th during day three of The Open Championship 2015 at St Andrews, Fife

The 144th Open restarted after a 10-and-a-half-hour delay for high winds at St Andrews as the championship headed for a Monday finish for only the second time in its history.

Thirty-nine players returned to the Old Course to recommence their second round at 6pm - around the time the third round should have been coming to a conclusion - having been called off at 7.32am.

That did not leave enough time to fit in the remainder of the tournament before Sunday's scheduled close and the R&A decided, for the first time since Royal Lytham in 1988, to extend proceedings until Monday.

Although winds had died down to a more manageable 25mph from the 45mph gusts which had moved balls on the greens in the morning causing the suspension conditions were still difficult.

Big-hitting left-hander Bubba Watson fell foul of the perilous 17th after coming up against the wall, chipping out but then thinning his next through the green to make a triple-bogey seven which ultimately saw him miss the cut.

Jordan Spieth, chasing the third leg of an unprecedented calendar year grand slam, also dropped his first shot of a long day at the Road hole when his approach went long from the middle of the fairway and he three-putted from distance.

But the wind did not appear to trouble Dustin Johnson, the overnight leader on 10-under until he came a cropper in windy conditions at the 14th in the morning.

On returning in the afternoon he parred his way to the par-four 18th, which he drove and two-putted for birdie to regain his one-stroke advantage over Sheffield's Danny Willett, who finished his second round more than 24 hours previously.

The omens are good for Johnson, who lost last month's US Open to Spieth after three-putting the final green, as the last seven winners of majors have at least shared the 36-hole lead.

During the break Spieth had said if he finished with a level-par round of 72 he would be happy to still be in contention and he did just that with a birdie at the last to move back to five under, five behind his compatriot.

England's Daniel Brooks recorded the first hole-in-one of the tournament at the short 11th - undoubtedly the best way to play it as that green is the most exposed on the course and had caused most of the problems earlier in the day.