Tragic mum found dead on family camping trip is named

North Wales camp site where Tracy Screen died.
North Wales camp site where Tracy Screen died.
Share this article

TRIBUTES have been paid to a young mum from Chesterfield, killed after apparently being overcome by fumes in her tent while camping with her family.

Tracy Screen, aged 34, died and her husband Benjamin and two children were last night recovering in hospital following the tragedy at the Aberafon campsite at Gyrn Goch, North Wales.

Medics said Benjamin, in his 30s, their son, aged seven, and daughter, four, may be discharged last night once Mr Screen had been assessed further.

Investigations are concentrating on whether a barbecue found close to their tent was to blame.

North West Wales Coroner’s Office has opened and adjourned an inquest into the death, and North Wales Police said ‘early indications’ were the mum, dad, and children had been overcome by fumes.

The family lived until six months ago on Avenue Road, Chesterfield. Neighbour Michael Bloxham, who lives opposite their old home, was shocked.

“They were very good neighbours - just very normal, nice, happy, peaceful people,” he said.

“Everyone tends to keep themselves to themselves on the road so we didn’t know them well, but we said hello to them. It’s very sad news indeed.”

Richard Morris and Tracy Antcliff, who lived next door and still kept in touch, were ‘devastated’.

“We were really good friends, I can’t believe this has happened,” said Tracy. Richard added: “They were really good friends, brilliant neighbours, we couldn’t ask for any better. It’s such a tragedy.”

Another friend and neighbour, Maxine Else, said she had been to Tracy’s hen night and wedding.

“She was a very bubbly girl, I loved her,” she said. “I’m devastated, it’s not sunk in properly yet. It’s frightening, horrible.”

Sgt David Hughes, from North Wales Police, said: “The barbecue found near the tent is the focus of our investigations, with inhalation of fumes being one factor.”

Post mortem examination results have not yet been revealed. Lynn Griffiths of charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, said CO kills 50 in the UK every year.