‘Always in my heart’ - a devastated father who lost five family members, including his three children, in a Sheffield house fire has paid tribute to his lost relatives.
Nazim Parwaiz Kayani, 31, lost nine-year-old Adyan, seven-year-old Amaan and nine-week-old baby daughter Minahil, in the fatal Nether Edge blaze last year.
The children’s grandmother Shabina Begum, 53 and their aunt, student Anum Parwaiz, 20, also died in the blaze.
Speaking this afternoon at a special tree-planting ceremony outside the home on Wake Road to mark the first anniversary of the fire, Mr Kayani said: “It has been very hard.
“They are always in my heart, I will never forget them.”
He had lived on Wake Road all of his life, but said he has been unable to return inside the home since the fatal blaze.
Taxi driver Mr Kayani had been out working when the fatal fire happened last year.
He said he is still struggling to come to terms with what happened.
“It has been really hard. It is still a big shock and it is not easy,” he said.
“You have to stay strong but I have had some bad nightmares.”
He said of his children: “They were really active, always laughing, always playing - just how kids are. They were just too happy in this world.”
More than 100 friends, relatives and neighbours gathered for the emotional tree-planting ceremony this afternoon.
Tears were shed as the people took turns helping to plant the mountain ash tree, while flowers were laid by it. Prayers were also said for the family.
Mr Kayani’s sister Nazia, who helped organise the tree planting ceremony, said: “This is the first time we have come back out to the street. It is very emotional.
“It is a day that no one is going to forget. We will take these memories with us.
“One of the things we can’t do is go back in the house. We have got too many good memories but the last memory is five members of our family dying in this house.
“This is a place we can remember them outside this house on the road we grew up on.
“In our religion, planting a tree for the deceased is a goodwill thing and I wanted to do it.”
Mr Kayani said he was grateful to everyone who turned out for the ceremony and hopes the tree can help give the family positive memories about their lost relatives.
“There are lots of family and friends here. It is a really good thing.”
Councillor Nasima Akther, who helped assist the family in arranging the tree planting, said: “I hope this will bring some comfort to the family.
“During this hard time, the community has come together.”
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault with a faulty charging device.
More than 2,000 mourners attended the family’s funerals last year at the Medina Mosque in Heeley - one of the biggest funerals ever seen in Sheffield.