All hail Dale as Sheffield keep up promotion push

Sheffield RUFC new boy Chris Dale sets up another attack vs Durham City
Sheffield RUFC new boy Chris Dale sets up another attack vs Durham City

sheffield maintained their push for a promotion place with a 17-5 victory over old foes Malton & Norton.

Sheffield, who occupy third place in the North One East table, secured a comfortable victory despite once again suffering a spate of injuries.

Tommy Marples was missing after picking up an injury the previous weekend at Pocklington, and Ramzey Adamo was declared unavailable after his son was taken to hospital.

Mark Ireland, their influential number 10, was also missing, so Jimmy Pearson continued at fly half.

Despite this, however, Sheffield took the game to their opponents early on and should have scored wide out on the left on two occasions.

Then with 14 minutes gone, Malton had the opportunity to go ahead with a penalty after Sheffield were penalised for an illegal tackle, but centre Ali Heard could not make it count.

It was left to right wing Gareth Morley to break the deadlock with a dazzling run through the Malton defence to score out on the right.

Jimmy Pearson failed with the conversion and Sheffield had a slender 5-0 lead.

Sheffield then had two further chances to add tries within three minutes, only for the opportunity to be lost with a knock on.

However, Chris Dale was soon to show just how quick he can be for a big man when he received a pass wide out on the right inside the Sheffield half and sprinted away from the Malton defence to score in the corner.

Again, Pearson could not add the conversion, and Sheffield led 10-0.

Just three minutes later Will Bennett found himself on his way to the sin bin after he did not retire at a penalty and affected a tackle on scrum half Cattle.

Referee John Wolstenholme played a long advantage from the penalty but Mr Wolstenholme had not forgotten and Bennett got his 10 minutes of rest and the half petered out with no change to the score.

The second half could have not got off to a better start; Malton kicked off, Sheffield secured the ball and drove hard into the Malton defence, which seemed to be enjoying an extended interval and Dale was able to crash over for his second try just to the right of the posts.

Pearson added the conversion and the lead was built to 17-0.

The score seemed to wake up the Malton players and for the remainder of the match they were the slightly better side, with Sheffield moving down a gear or two.

However, the Sheffield defence managed to hang together and keep Malton at bay until the 30th minute of the half when their pack found a crack in the defence to score out on the right.

Ali Heard was again unable to make the kick, but Sheffield’s lead was reduced to 17-5.

Malton battled hard for the remainder of the match, but Sheffield were again resolute in their defence with Mr Wolstenholme ending the match with exactly 40 minutes played.

n Sheffield: Bennett, Mortimer (capt), Tomsett, Dudley, Ellis, Balshaw, Kelly, Whitney, Poste, Pearson, Womack, Tillyer, Dale, Morley, Hill. Replacements: Bramah, Thomas, Shore.

n On Saturday, Sheffield face Hull Ionians at home in the Yorkshire Cup (2.15pm).