Dronfield boxer Taylor suffers first defeat in 18-month pro career

Jason Cunningham on his way to victory over  Brett Fidoe at the Dome. Photo: Lesley Pickersgill
Jason Cunningham on his way to victory over Brett Fidoe at the Dome. Photo: Lesley Pickersgill

Dronfield middleweight Lewis Taylor lost by the narrowest of margins in Derry whilst challenging Eamonn O’Kane for the IBF Inter-Continental title at the Lavey Centre.

Leeds judge Dave Parris was unable to split the pair at the conclusion of 12 hard fought rounds and turned in a scorecard of 114-114,but the other two judges had the man from Dungiven ahead 115-113 and 116-112.

Doncaster’s Howard Foster refereed a bout which saw defending champion O’Kane left with a cut above the right eye when heads clashed in the fifth round.

It was Taylor’s first defeat in 18 outings since turning pro.

Andy Townend of Cudworth, required less than four rounds to see off Bradford super-feather Femi Fehintola for the vacant English title on Stefy Bull’s show at Doncaster Dome, referee Mike Alexander calling a halt to the one sided proceedings with 18 seconds of the fourth remaining to save Fehintola, who had been sent to the canvas moments earlier, any further punishment.

Having dropped the opener Femi, his nose already bleeding slightly, was down in the second, the referee adjudging a slip. Andy however made all the early running while Fehintola saw several attempted replies fall short. Busy early in the third Andy’s advances were halted momentarily when Femi crashed home a right to the head but by the end of the session he appeared back on track, scoring with a combination to the head.

Confidence growing, Townend proved too busy and too strong for Femi who having been tagged by a further trio of rights to the head was nursing a worsening swelling below the left eye, his cause wasn’t helped when Andy slammed home a looping left and there was worse to follow as a cuffing right sent him down in centre ring. The referee allowed Femi to continue but was quick to intervene just seconds later as Andy resumed his offensive.

Doncaster’s Jason Cunningham, his Commonwealth title bout postponed for a couple of weeks, ticked over by easing to a 60-54 six round win over Evesham’s Brett Fidoe,

Light-middleweight Aston Jolly of Stainforth, Doncaster, registered his sixth paid victory in a four rounder against Hull’s bearded Paul O’Brien, referee Mark Lyson of Liverpool awarding him a shut-out 40-36 victory.

Sheffield lightweight Qasim Hussain had two points deducted for illegal use of the head in the third round of his contest against Conisbrough’s Steven Hale but Hale was inb the ascendancy throughout and deserving the 40-34 decision.

Worksop debutant Andy White, a super-middle, found himself on the wrong end of a 39-38 scoreline after a close tussle with Aberystwyth pro Jamie Ambler.