Five-goal spree gives Handsworth Parramore county cup glory

Handsworth Parramore Reserves staged a brilliant comeback from 2-0 down to beat 10-man Grimethorpe Sports 5-2 in the Sheffield & Hallamshire County FA Saturday Association Cup final.

Thursday, 28th April 2016, 5:18 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 3:12 pm
Handsworth Parramore Reserves receive the S&H County FA Association Cup from Iain Kean, managing director of sponsors Fortay Media

Brothers Tony and Stevie Bennett scored for Grimethorpe, while Handsworth replied with a Mitch Dunne hat-trick and a Ryan Lee double in the all-County Senior League clash.

Parramore showed the early attacking impetus at Penistone Church FC’s Memorial Ground with Ollie Grady and Mitch Dunne both testing Grimethorpe goalkeeper Craig Soar.

But Grimethorpe took an unlikely lead midway through the first half, courtesy of Tony Bennett’s goal, taking advantage after Ambers’ Ben Snee slipped, dislocating his elbowand having to go to hospital.

Jake Squires replaced Snee.

It got worse for Handsworth, who gave away a free-kick just outside their penalty area, which lead to Grimethorpe’s second goal, Stevie Bennett’s thundering drive going in off the underside of the bar.

But Stevie’s goal-scoring heroics were short-lived when he was sent off on 32 minutes, for an off-the-ball scuffle with Handsworth’s defender Aiden Spowage.

Handsworth soon made their advantage count, as Dunne scored his first of his treble just before half-time, steering the ball into the left-bottom corner of the net from Grady’s free-kick.

Dunne could have scored an equaliser before the break, but his header from a corner was cleared off the line by a defender.

As the second-half resumed, Handsworth’s hat-trick hero from the semi-final, Ryan Lee forced Soar into to a reflex save with a first-time volley from inside the box.

Parramore took the lead soon after with two quickfire goals. First, Lee scored with a powerful right-footer from close range, then, Dunne slammed home his second following Ryan Simmonite’s defence-piercing pass.

Handsworth were out of sight midway through the second half, as Lee and Dunne were again on the score sheet.

Handsworth Parramore manager Shaun Rollinson was pleased with the performance. He said he asked his players at half time to step up the tempo: “They were down to ten men and they were a bit older than us. So they were possibly going to tire. And when we went 3-2 up, I thought we had got the game in the bag.”

Referee Danny Jarvis, assistant referees Michael Leneghan and Liam Marsh, fourth official Steve Grainger.