Agony for Wright as Cuckson quits Staveley after Vase exit

editorial image

It was a painful weekend for local clubs, for a variety of reasons as one manager resigned, and another suffered a suspected broken leg.

The unlucky player was Worsbrough Bridge’s Josh Wright, who suffered the injury early on in his side’s 2-1 defeat to Pontefract Colliery.

Wright was forced to wait over an hour and a half before going to hospital, with no ambulances or paramedics available.

With Wright in constant pain, Bridge officials ended up driving the player to Barnsley Hospital themselves.

Wright was later diagnosed with severe ligament damage, and will miss the rest of the season.

On Tuesday, neighbours AFC Emley visited Park Road and the points were shared, after a 1-1 draw.

Staveley’s 2-0 FA Vase exit at the hands of Morpeth Town was the final straw for manager Neil Cuckson, who tendered his resignation immediately after his side crashed to their third successive defeat.

On Tuesday, the managerless squad visited Sandy Lane for their Senior Cup quarter final against Worksop Parramores, and lost 2-1 despite putting in a spirited performance.

Parramores lost a key promotion battle last Saturday, as visitors Retford United ran out 4-3 winners.

But there was better news for them on Tuesday, as they reached the semi finals of the Senior Cup.

In the Toolstation NCEL First Division, Hallam ended a poor run of results by beating Appleby Frodingham 5-0.

Sam Eckhardt hit his second hat trick of the season and Simon Aswith hit a brace, as Hallam registered their second home win of the season.

Dinnington Town played some good football again but lost 2-1 away at Shirebrook Town as Wade found the net.

Last Wednesday, I watched Maltby Main win a classic affair 6-4 at Athersley Recreation, with Lovell and Gladwin scoring two goals each.

Finney and Sykes completed the rout.

Parkgate made it two wins in a row for the first time this season when they won 4-0 at Lincoln Moorlands.

Morley (2), Wesley and Foltyn-Brown found the net.

On Tuesday, they entertained Oughtibridge WMSC in the Senior Cup quarter finals in what certainly looked a banana skin affair.

And so it proved when, after Broadbent gave the Steelmen a half-time lead, County Senior League side Oughtibridge bounced back to win 2-1.

There were contrasting fortunes for our clubs in the Evo-Stik League last weekend.

In the Premier Division, Stocksbridge Park eased their relegation worries slightly as they beat bottom club Droylsden 3-2 in a very scrappy affair, with Lovell, Joynes and South hitting the net.

It was only their fourth win of the season, and their first in six games.

In Division One Sheffield F.C lost 2-1 at home, to top of the table Leek Town.

Town scored twice in the final six minutes to cancel out an early strike from Zeph Thomas. It was their fifth defeat in six games and leaves them tenth in the table.

n Fixtures: Saturday: Lincoln United v Sheffield FC, Parkgate v Albion Sports, Barton Town v Maltby Main, Bridlington Town v Worksop Parramores, Staveley v Athersley Rec, Worsbrough Bridge v Shirebrook Town, Dinnington Town v Bottesford Town.Tuesday: Brighouse Town v Maltby Main.