Agony piles on for Hallam

A GLIMMER of hope for Hallam one minute, a double dose of agony the next.

Such is life for the Sandygate club at the moment.

They recorded a rare but very welcome 2-1 win over neighbours Maltby Main which took them off the bottom of the Kool Sports North Counties East League’s Premier Division thanks to goals from Moxon and Hunter. Maltby replied through a Greg Mason penalty.

It left Hallam six points adrift of Arnold Town with three games in hand but with a hat-trick of matches against top sides. The first of these came on Tuesday when they entertained in-form Thackley but they played really well and took a deserved two goal lead through Getleff and Thompson. However, the visitors pulled a goal back and then hit a last minute equaliser to force a 2-2 draw.

There was further agony for Hallam, with the news that Arnold had won and they are eight points adrift of them. They face a very experienced Winterton Rangers on Saturday and then host top-of-the-table Farsley Celtic next Thursday.

Maltby’s manager Stevie Adams was very disappointed with his team’s performance at Hallam and when I visit Muglet Lane on Saturday, I will expect to see a few new faces in their line up for their biggest game of the season against table-toppers Farsley Celtic.

Hallam’s move off the foot of the table left Dinnington Town at the bottom after they crashed to a 4-1 home defeat against Pickering Town and a 2-0 defeat to Arnold Town on Tuesday.

In Division One Staveley started with a 5-1 victory at struggling Appleby Frodingham where Fox 2, Damms, McGuire and Jones scored their goals. It all led to a great day last Saturday when they beat Askern Welfare 3-0 with goals from Damms, McGuire and Eagers, to confirm their promotion to the Premier Division.

Four more points is now their aim as this will see them go up as champions.

On Tuesday they travelled to Barton Town in the League Cup third round and goals by Damms and Tahar brought them a 2-0 passage into the quarter-finals.

So now for those four points, which could be theirs inside a four day run that starts on Saturday when Louth United visit Inkersall Green, while next Tuesday they host old enemies Teversal.

I was at Olivers Mount to watch sixth placed Handsworth struggle against a lively Eccleshill United before Dave Cockerill’s second half double earned them a 2-1 victory. Their trip to Louth United saw them dominate most of the game and although Kippax put them in front they were denied by a last minute equaliser.

On Saturday their push for a creditable top three finish continues when they entertain Pontefract Colliery while I will be back at Olivers Mount next Wednesday, as they face the winners of the Barton v Staveley League Cup tie, in the quarter-finals.

Stocksbridge gained instant revenge against Mickleover Sports in an extraordinary game. They went down to a 2-0 defeat at Mickleover but in the return fixture they turned the tables with a 7-3 victory! Park were three-up inside 17 minutes, only to be pulled back to 3-2 before they added added another to go in 4-2 at half-time, In the second half Stocksbridge tightened up and ran out comfortable winners with Man of the Match Muldoon 2, Hall, Ring, Stirrup, Callery and Marrison all finding the net.

They welcomed Kendal Town on Tuesday where Park went behind to a dubious penalty but two goals in two minutes by Lovell and Dillon gave them a deserved 2-1 success to take them up to 13th place in the table.

Another hectic week now awaits them. On Saturday they travel to in-form Chasetown, follow that up with a big Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup semi-final tie at Worksop Town on Monday and then visit Burscough 48 hours later.

Sheffield Club got their weekend off to a flying start when last Friday they visited Stamford and gained a good point with a 2-2 draw that saw Jack Smith and Ant Lynam score their goals.

Then on Tuesday looking to improve their 16th league placing, they entertained Goole AFC and despite great goalkeeping by former player Walker, including a Gascoinge penalty save, Club won 2-1 with Roney and Harrison finding the net. On Saturday they travel to free-scoring Kidsgrove Athletic and entertain Lincoln United mnext Tuesday.