Marcus Tudgay on the ball for Barnsley against Cardiff
Marcus Tudgay on the ball for Barnsley against Cardiff

BARNSLEY hosted high-fliers Cardiff hungry to claim their first home league for nearly two months

Wiseman got back to close down Mason, but the striker turned inside the centre-back and hit the target with a curling left-foot shot, only for Steele to pull-off a brilliant one-handed block to turn the ball away for a corner.

But the opening goal wasn’t long in coming as, from the resulting corner, NUGENT rose tallest - and unchallenged - to head Whittingham’s corner beyond the helpless and bemused Steele. There was nothing the goalkeeper could have done.

Marshall thwarted Mellis at his near post with a smart save three minutes after the restart as the hosts started brightly, but it was the Bluebirds who were on top and some good pressure led to them doubling their lead.

Cranie, who had been moved from right-back to centre-back, carelessly lost the ball to Mason inside his own area and squared for Helguson. But the striker was denied by a brilliant save from Steele.

However, the visitors - like they had done earlier in the contest - scored from the resulting corner when the unmarked GUNNARSSON headed Whittingham’s corner into the bottom left corner.

It was nearly 3-0 when Helguson headed over Lappin’s left-wing cross with the Reds all over the place.

Manager Hill made two substitutions having seen his misfiring side go two goals down, with Noble-Lazarus and new loan signing Buzsaky introduced to freshen up the Reds’ attacking threat.

And it was Buzsaky who finally brought the home crowd to life when his long-range left-foot shot was saved by Marshall.

With 14 minutes remaining Wiseman’s right-wing cross was missed by Davies, but there was MELLIS at the back post to poke home to keep the contest alive.

Mellis had a penalty appeal turned down after going down after a strong challenge in Cardiff’s area, before Davies blasted well over from the edge of the box.

Lappin was sent off on his debut for a second yellow card in the final minute to make things interesting, but still the hosts couldn’t get the ball into the back of the net despite four minutes of injury time.

Golbourne had a penalty appeal turned down in the dying seconds, referee Whitestone waving away the home side’s angry protests.