League One: Owls fail to close gap at top as Blades snap at heels

Thriller: Reda Johnson celebrates his equalising goal with Jose Semedo.
Thriller: Reda Johnson celebrates his equalising goal with Jose Semedo.

SHEFFIELD Wednesday’s eight-goal thriller - a rollercoaster 4-4 Yorkshire derby against Huddersfield - saw them miss the chance to close the gap on League One leaders Charlton, writes Graham Walker.

But Charlton also missed the opportunity to extended their lead when Filipe Morais secured a late point for Oldham.

The Addicks took the lead when Matt Taylor scored his first goal for the club, only for substitute Morais to net an 85th-minute equaliser.

Charlton are five points clear of the Owls in second place.

Rob Jones, Reda Johnson, Ben Marshall and Chris O’Grady were on target for Wednesday in a match that saw the lead change hands three times at Hillsborough.

Jordan Rhodes scored all four of Huddersfield’s goals.

The visitors led 2-0 but trailed 4-2, before Rhodes lifted his League One tally for this season to 19 in all competitions with an in the seventh minute of injury time.

Sheffield United continue to snap at the leaders’ heels, with two own goals giving them victory at Bournemouth and a sixth successive win.

The first arrived in the fifth minute when leading scorer Ched Evans got clear on the right and his cross was turned in by Bournemouth captain Adam Barrett.

Evans was the architect once more with a quarter of an hour remaining, Steve Cook providing the final touch.

Lenell John-Lewis stepped off the bench to secure 10-man Bury a point against promotion-chasing Brentford.

Gary Alexander’s penalty broke the deadlock and the visitors looked on course for a third straight league win when Joe Skarz was sent off.

But John-Lewis volleyed home in the 85th minute to complete the 1-1 draw.

Jack Lester marked his first start since September by saving Chesterfield from another defeat when Walsall were denied victory in the final minute as the bottom-of-the-table clash ended in a 1-1 draw.

Alex Nicholls had given Walsall a deserved first-half lead but Lester, who has been out with a broken arm, pounced in the 90th minute to earn Chesterfield only their third point in 12 games.

Exeter and Scunthorpe did little to help move themselves away from the relegation zone following a goalless draw at St James Park.

A late Francois Zoko header saved a point for Carlisle in a 2-2 draw with Wycombe at Brunton Park.

Rory Loy had grabbed an early lead for United before Anthony McNamee equalised for the Chairboys and on-loan Fulham striker Marcello Trotta put them ahead. However, substitute Zoko’s far-post effort restored parity with four minute to play.

Leyton Orient goalkeeper Lee Butcher saved Jeff Hughes’ 93rd-minute penalty in the 2-1 win at Notts County. Stephen Dawson and sub Jonathan Tehoue netted in each half, before Lee Hughes replied.