League One review: Wallsall go top after win over Burton

Gillingham beat Chesterfield at the Proact
Gillingham beat Chesterfield at the Proact

Walsall replaced Burton at the top of the Sky Bet League One table thanks to their hard-fought 2-0 victory over their rivals at the Banks's Stadium.

An opener from 19-year-old Liam Kinsella and a last-minute penalty from Tom Bradshaw handed the Brewers their first defeat in six games in front of the biggest league gate of the season at Walsall.

Gillingham extended their unbeaten league run to three games and moved up to third after claiming a comfortable 3-1 victory at Chesterfield.

The Gills took the lead through defender John Egan before Rai Simons equalised 10 minutes ahead of the break for the Spireites, but second-half goals from Rory Donnelly and Harry Lennon sealed the win for Justin Edinburgh's side.

Wigan staged a late fightback to claim a 2-2 draw at 10-man Bury and prevent their local rivals going joint-top of the standings.

Nathan Cameron headed the Shakers into a sixth-minute lead before Tom Pope doubled the hosts' advantage on the hour mark.

But Bury left-back Chris Hussey was sent off after a second yellow card in the 78th minute and Wigan pulled one back seven minutes later through a Cameron own goal.

Craig Morgan then fired home in the last minute to stretch the Latics' unbeaten run to six matches as Bury dropped down a spot into fourth.

Inconsistent Sheffield United returned to winning ways with a 3-2 home victory over Rochdale thanks to a first-half double from Che Adams and a second-half header from Neill Collins, while Peter Vincenti and Lewis Alessandra were on target for the visitors.

Joe Pigott's fifth goal in four games helped Southend edge a 1-0 win against Port Vale at Roots Hall. The in-form striker fired home the only goal midway through the second half as the Shrimpers claimed a fifth win in six matches and moved up to seventh.

Peterborough secured their first victory at Swindon in more than nine years as goals from Jon Taylor and Lee Angol guided the visitors to a 2-1 win at the County Ground, with Michael Bostwick heading Anton Rodgers' free-kick into his own net to reduce the deficit.

Shrewsbury brilliantly stormed back from 2-0 down at half-time to beat Colchester 4-2 thanks to a brace apiece from substitutes Tyrone Barnett and Sullay Kaikai, introduced by manager Micky Mellon at the break.

Colchester had looked the more threatening before the break, stunning Town by scoring twice inside three minutes towards the end of the first half with an own goal from Mark Ellis before Tom Eastman doubled their advantage - but the Shrews bossed the second half to take all three points and move up to 14th.

Scunthorpe earned their first away win of the season with a 4-2 victory at Oldham, who dropped into the relegation zone.

The Iron had already hit a post through Gary McSheffrey when they scored after 10 minutes, with Paddy Madden playing in McSheffrey for a calm 12-yard finish.

Oldham levelled through Liam Kelly before Dominic Poleon put the hosts ahead but Tommy Rowe, Madden and substitute Kevin van Veen handed the Iron the win.

Crewe remain bottom despite a 2-1 victory over Barnsley at Oakwell.

Ryan Colclough scored from a direct free-kick for Crewe and though Alfie Mawson replied with a header for Barnsley, the Railwaymen snatched the points in the second half through Lauri Dalla Valle.

Fleetwood sit level on points with the Alex after Richard Wood's own goal was enough to ensure a defeat for new manager Steven Pressley, with his side beaten 1-0 by former club Coventry.