Concerns for Staveley’s Welfare as Fox resigns

Chris Coy
Chris Coy

There was a mixed bag of results last Saturday - whilst we had three winners, we also had two clubs facing their biggest defeats of the season and a further two facing a crisis within their clubs.

Certainly ‘crisis’ is the right word at Sheffield FC, who suffered another poor 2-0 home defeat last Saturday to Leek Town.

The Evo-Stik Division One South club have lost four games in a row and taken one point from their last five games. They have, in fact, won only one of their last eight league games and have not won at home since October 30.

They have gone from being a play off team two months ago to being just eight points away from relegation, as they lie in fifteenth place in the table.

Interim manager Ian Whitehorne has brought in numerous new faces in recent weeks, but the loss of Lee Featherstone to Matlock Town last week was another big blow to the club’s defence.

In simple terms, the Club’s Committee must act quickly to stop the rot or face the consequences. Their game against North Feriby United on Tuesday was postponed for fourth time, and on Saturday they visit bottom club Hucknall Town.

Next Tuesday they travel to North Ferriby in the Doodson League Cup third round.

It is also sad to announce that their popular secretary Steve Hall was rushed into the Northern General Hospital last weekend, and we wish him a speedy recovery.

In The Baris North Counties East Leagues Premier Division, Staveley are also having a bad time after losing their sponsors, and ten players.

Last Wednesday I watched them draw 1-1 at home to Heanor Town, with Ryan Damms scoring their goal.

Then after losing two more players, they lost 4-0 at home to Parkgate with some reserve and under-19 players in the team.

Immediately after the game manager Billy Fox resigned and now the search is on for a new manager and a clean start at this much-troubled club.

On Saturday they visit inform Tadcaster Albion whilst next Wednesday, they travel to Shirebrook Town in the League Cup Third Round.

Parkgate are having a great run at the present time and they beat Staveley 4-0, thanks to a brace from new signing Steve McDonnell. Craig Fletcher and Adam Shepherd also scored.

Then on Tuesday night they visited a very strong Tadcaster Albion, and gained a valuable point after a goalless draw.

It should have been three points, but Sam Smith’s penalty a minute before half time was brilliantly saved.

They now face two home games in four days, when on Saturday they entertain Lincoln Moorlands at Green Lane and Glasshoughton Welfare next Tuesday.

The sun was also shining over Worksop Parramore who beat Retford United 2-1 winners thanks to goals by Lee Holmes and Simon Barraclough.

It was their fifth win on the bounce and they have conceded only one goal in that run, which leaves them in fourth place in the table.

They have no game on Saturday but next Tuesday they entertain neighbours Maltby Main at Sandy Lane.

Maltby earned a 2-2 draw at home to league leaders Scarborough Athletic after playing their best football of the season.

They followed that up with a 2-1 home win on Saturday over Heanor Town.

On Saturday, though, their credentials will be severely tested when they visit the Welfare Ground to face Pickering Town before next Tuesday’s trip to Worksop Parramore.

In Division One, Hallam beat promotion hopefuls Pontefract Colliery 2-0 at Sandygate last Saturday thanks to goals from Liam Morris and Connor Sellars.

On Tuesday, their game against Clipstone Welfare at Sandygate was postponed due to the weather.

On Saturday they entertain bottom club Selby Town, who had a rare win last Saturday but are certain to be relegated in May.

Last Saturday, Dinnington Town suffered their biggest defeat of the season, losing 7-1 against Athersley Rec.

On Tuesday night they dodged another torrid test at home to inform Knaresborough Town when the weather forced another postponment.

They now have two successive games at Phoenix Park: on Saturday, Bottesford Town are the visitors followed by Grimsby Borough on Tuesday.

Worsbrough Bridge’s great run was brought to an end on Saturday with a 5-2 defeat at third placed Albion Sports.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, I was at The Look Local Stadium last Saturday to watch Stocksbridge Park fight back to earn a 1-1 draw with Ilkeston Town.

It leaves Darren Schofield’s players unbeaten in four games, but with Kendal Town winning on Saturday they dropped into the relegation places on goal difference.

They must now start to win games, though on Saturday it might prove difficult when they visit newly promoted AFC Fylde who are enjoying a fair season.

On Saturday I will be at Staveley to watch the Sheffield and Hallamshire Under 18s team entertain Cumberland CFA (2pm kick off).

Then next Tuesday night, at the same venue, I will be watching them again as they try to over come a very strong Manchester CFA team.

Kick off is at 7.45 pm, and admission is free at both games.