Jose Semedo in a close tussle
Jose Semedo in a close tussle

sheffield Wednesday manager Dave Jones saw his unbeaten run come to an end at the 18th attempt as a late goal gave Palace victory.

It was Murray who had the first and final word.

The Owls were one down after just 26 seconds through the Eagles’ first attack of the game. A long crossfield ball from the right was partly cleared by Llera underpressure with the defender heading it out towards the left side of the pitch.

Bolasie, a former Bristol City winger, making his home début, beat Buxton on the byline and delivered a low cross which was knocked in from close range by unmarked striker MURRAY.

Palace were quick to pull men behind the ball whenever Wednesday tried to get forward and the home side had two holding midfielders, with Jedinak doing duty in front of the back four.

The Owls were finding it hard to find any penetration yet were coming under little threat themselves.

Rodri had a great chance to equalise in the 28th minute: Johnson found him at the far post with a crossfield ball and the striker leapt to bring it down acrobatically with his right foot. It teed up a left foot volley from a narrow angle and though it was not a simple opportunity with Speroni facing him, the Spaniard may have done better than to drive the shot across goal when he should have at least hit the target.

At half time, Wednesday would still think that they had every chance of getting back in the game.

Half-time: Palace 1 Owls 0

Wednesday opened the second half in positive mood and grabbed the equaliser in the 49th minute after forcing a corner on the right.

Llera, unusually, had been taking them from this side, swinging them in with his left foot and this one went past the face of the goal to reach the far post where the ball was bundled into the net from close range amongst several bodies and ANTONIO seemed to be claiming the credit,

Then the match took an extraordinary turn around the 74th minute when the referee gave a shocking decision to award the home side a penalty. Even at first sight it was obvious that the ball had been knocked away from Murray. The Owls could not believe the decision and immediately surrounded Mr Lewis and persuaded him to consult his linesman. The referee asked for the ball and then took it back into the middle. A few yards away from him there was another confrontation between players and the row still seemed to be going on before it finally became clear that Mr Lewis had changed his mind. He then allowed Kirkland to have possession. It was amazing stuff and though Palace fans chanted “You don’t know what you’re doing.” at least the referee had made the right decision in the end.

If anything though the the incident gave an extra edge and they went back in front in the 83rd minute. Zaha beat Jones on the right, Llera missed an attempted interception and behind him was MURRAY to shot home