Cubley helps Hallam bounce back

Handsworth FC v Rossington Main FC (Red strip) at Olivers Mount, Handsworth ''Richard Spears passes the ball to Tyrone Crapper
Handsworth FC v Rossington Main FC (Red strip) at Olivers Mount, Handsworth ''Richard Spears passes the ball to Tyrone Crapper

It’s tight at the top in both Divisions of the Baris North Counties East League. Only six points separate the top eight in the Premier while there’s just an eight point gap between the top eight in Division One.

Hallam bounced back from their 3-0 defeat at Albion Sports, when Tom Cubley, their new signing from Shirebrook, scored the game’s only goal against Dinnington Town at Phoenix Park.

It was Hallam’s first league win in four outings and only their second clean sheet in the league this season which should give them confidence for Saturday clash with Askern Villa at Sandygate.

Dinnington simply couldn’t find their form or a goalscorer and made it three games without a goal. They’re now only five points away from the drop zone but bid for a winning double on Saturday when they entertain bottom club Appleby Frodingham. Then comes next Tuesday’s visit to Frickley in the second round of the Senior Cup.

Handsworth manager Rus Eagle was not a happy man after a disastrous three days which saw his side crash to a shock 2-0 home defeat to Teversal followed by another home loss, 1-0 to fellow promotion hopefuls Rossington Main - the first time they have failed to score in league games this season.

Despite four defeats in October they cling on to second place and look for better fare at Yorkshire Amateurs on Saturday. Minnows Houghton Main are the visitors to Olivers Mount in the Senior Cup next Wednesday.

Worksop Parramore played their first game for two weeks and it showed as the top of the table side lost 2-0 at third place Albion Sport and as a result the two teams swapped places in the table. It was the first time Darren Bland’s players have failed to score this season, something they were hoping to put right on Tuesday when they entertained in-form Rossington Main. But it proved to be another horror show for them as they slumped to their biggest defeat of the season, when, despite a goal by Colley, they crashed 4-1 to Rossington, the best side I have seen this season in this division.

Bottesford Town are the visitors to Sandy Lane on Saturday followed by Louth United next Tuesday.

In the Premier Division Staveley found themselves two goals down at Parkgate after an hour but manager Billy Fox altered his pattern of play and goals by Barraclough and Eagers earned them a point in a 2-2 draw. On Tuesday they visited Arnold Town looking to go top with a win but instead they suffered their first league defeat of the season going down 3-2, after giving away two second half penalties. Barraclough and Forbes-Chambers scored their goals.

Staveley now face a tough month with nine games coming up, six of which are away, and it all starts on Saturday when they entertain third placed Tadcaster Albion while Maltby Main are the visitors in the Senior Cup next Wednesday.

Parkgate will rue the fact that they had to share the spoils against Staveley. It all followed a seven goal thriller at Lincoln Moorlands when goals by Hannity, Davis, Shepherd and Senior earned them a 4-3 win. They’re now just three points adrift of the leaders and with four of their next five games at home, it’s a good time to play catch-up. They visit fellow promotion hopefuls Brighouse Town on Saturday and entertain Scarborough Athletic next Tuesday in what is certain to be a crucial game for both teams.

More doom and gloom for Maltby Main as they crashed to a 7-1 defeat at Armthorpe Welfare, despite taking a first minute lead through Oliver Graham. They’re now next to bottom and without a win since the opening day of the season, when they beat league leaders Bridlington Town who they visited on Tuesday evening and as expected they suffered a 3-0 defeat.

Maltby host Liversedge on Saturday and visit Staveley in the Senior Cup next Wednesday. I watched Sheffield FC turn in a poor display at Shepshed Dynamo, where, after squandering many chances, they drew 1-1 to slip from top to second in Evo-Stik Division One South. Gascoigne’s penalty gave them the lead, which was cancelled out within a minute and manager Mark Shaw had every right to be annoyed with his players althoughI thought the referee was very poor. Without Higginson, Kay and Roney they looked a very ordinary side and it was ta similar story when they visited Newcastle Town on Tuesday where they lost 2-1. Longstaff got their goal.

Sheffield, with just one point from three games, now face five away games in the coming month. They start at home against Romulous on Saturday in the FA Trophy second qualifying round, where I hope to see them win, and then travel to Athersley Recreation next Tuesday for a tricky Senior Cup tie.

In the Premier Division Stocksbridge Park turned the form book upside down when, after twice being in front with goals from Muldoon and Stirrup, they drew 2-2 with in-form FC United of Manchester. The team responded well to manager Gary Marrow’s straight talking but he now sits out the next four games through suspension.

They were at Matlock Town last night and visit Bradford Park Avenue on Saturday. I’ll watch them next Tuesday when they visit AFC Emley in the Senior Cup.