Cup break for our local clubs

editorial image

To say things went pear shaped for our clubs last Saturday is putting it mildly.

Only two won, three were hammered and one team had six players making their debuts in another big defeat.

The only consolation for our struggling clubs is that the Senior Cup Second Round gives them a break from their frustrating league programme.

The weekend was best mirrored in the Evo-Stik League, as Stocksbridge Park slumped to the bottom of the Premier League table after their fifth successive defeat, going down 3-0 home defeat to inform Ashton United.

On Tuesday they visited free scoring Worksop Parramore in the Senior Cup, with goals from Cole Payne and Andy Ring giving them a 2-1 win.

In Division One South, Sheffield F.C. were well beaten 4-1 away at Stamford last Saturday, to leave them with just one win in five league games.

On Tuesday they visited Hemsworth Miners Welfare in the Senior Cup and reached the quarter-finals with a 4-1 win, thanks to first half goals by Woolley, McKenzie, Gascoinge and Foster.

North Counties East League First Division side Parkgate were beaten 5-1 at home by second placed neighbours Worksop Parramore.

New manager Russ Eagle has seen ten players leave, and has brought in six new ones with more to come.

On Tuesday they entertained Rossington Main in the Senior Cup and lost 2-1 after an injury time winner.

Worksop Parramore were worthy 5-1 winners at Parkgate, with Lee Holmes hitting four goals, but it was keeper Steve Hernandez who was man of the match with a string of fine saves in the first half.

Leading scorer Lee Whittington is out for three months after undergoing an eye operation yesterday.

On Tuesday they entertained Stocksbridge Park in the Senior Cup and crashed to a 2-1 defeat.

Staveley made it four in a row without defeat, when they had a great 3-0 away win at Glasshoughton Welfare.

Ryan Damms scored two - to make it 13 for the season - and on Saturday they visit bottom club Lincoln Moorlands.

Third-bottom club Maltby Main endured a ‘banana skin’ test on Tuesday night in the Senior Cup against A.F.C. Emley, and were beaten 4-3 despite a Branagan brace and a goal from Stuart.

In Division One, Dinnington Town crashed to their fourth league defeat in a row, going down 6-0 at home to Cleethorpes Town.

It was their biggest defeat of the season and they are badly missing the injured pair Sykes and Smith.