Doncaster Rovers: Hot-shot Chris provides the Cannon fire

New Rovers signing Marc de val Fernandez at Retford United.
New Rovers signing Marc de val Fernandez at Retford United.

A second-half hat trick from Chris Brown helped lacklustre Rovers come from behind to secure a 4-2 win at Retford United.

David Syers was also on target after the break as Rovers saw off their hosts despite a largely poor performance.

The first half in particular saw Rovers

wasteful in possession and lacking in energy, somewhat wilting in intense heat at Cannon Park.

Paul Dickov again fielded two entirely different teams in each half, with Jean-Yves Mvoto and Dean Furman - listed as trialists - both handed game time after the break, despite having not yet penned deals.

Trialists Luke McCullough, Danny Philliskirk and Sanchez Payne again appeared while another pair of unidentified trialists - a goalkeeper and central midfielder - also played.

Retford produced great intensity from the kick-off, pressing hard and high up the pitch to deny Rovers the opportunity to build a passing style.

And their high-energy approach paid off as they opened the scoring after just six minutes.

Rovers were caught in possession 40 yards out with the ball threaded through to Reece Thompson who controlled and drilled through the legs of Neil Sullivan.

It took a while for Rovers to settle into the game but it happened as Retford proved unable to maintain the intensity of their pressing play.

Passing was soon shorter and zippier but Rovers still struggled to craft opportunities.

Payne drilled a couple of efforts off target from outside the area while Philliskirk was caught offside when played through by Billy Paynter.

The complete change of personnel at the break altered matters considerably with Rovers showcasing new energy against at Retford side with largely the same players as the first half.

Youth-team graduates Josh Meade and Evan Finnegan were particularly keen to impress, both darting forward at any opportunity and crafting a number of chances between them.

Furman shot from the edge of the area, Retford keeper Aiden Duffy spilled the ball and Syers pounced but the assistant was quick to flag for offside.

However, on 49 minutes Rovers were level.

Brown charged down Duffy, robbed possession and tapped into an empty net.

Rovers dominated for much of the second half but it took until the 81st minute for them to take the lead.

James Husband surged to the byline and cut a pass back to Brown who side-footed into the far corner from a tight angle.

The goal sparked a frantic last ten minutes with Retford equalising with five minutes to go.

Lee Holmes caught Mvoto flat-footed before lifting the ball over the trialist keeper to score.

Within a minute, Rovers were back in front as Syers got ahead of his man to poke the ball under the on-rushing Duffy.

And, two minutes from time, Rovers made sure of the win with a goal from a penalty.

Husband was hacked down inside the box and Brown stepped up to confidently lash home from the spot.

Rovers (First half): Sullivan, Griffin, Jones, Wakefield, Spurr, Cotterill, Fernandez, Trialist, Payne, Philliskirk, Paynter. Sub: Middleton.

Second half: Trialist, Quinn, Mvoto, McCullough, Husband, Furman, Harper, Meade, Finnegan, Syers, Brown. Sub: Middleton.