Tykes: Barnsley latest news.
Tykes: Barnsley latest news.

barnsley ended their two match losing run with a 1-1 home draw against Forest.

Barnsley needed a victory having fallen off the pace in recent weeks just when it looked as though the club would push to the play off position.

The Reds as they struggled badly to created any clear cut chances in a frustrating first half.

There was very little action in the opening quarter of an hour until defender McEveley was the first player to be booked, penalised for a clumsy challenge on McCleary.

From the resultant free-kick winger Reid curled the shot straight at Steele who gathered at his left hand post.

At the other end midfielder Guedioura blazed over with a powerful shot with the vistors first meaningful chance of the afternoon.

Three minutes later winger Done first forward and shot wide of the right upright was arguably the Reds’ best chance of the half.

Two minutes later Done picked out Golbourne at the back post, but the defender headed over when off balance.

Shortly after the half hour mark Forest took the lead courtesy of a fortuitous deflection.

It was McCLEARY who got it when his left foot strike cannoned off the back of the unfortunate McNulty as he tracked back.

Not long after McCleary had another shot on target, but this time his shot struck McNulty again and deflected wide for a corner.

Forest were on top and nearly went 2-0 ahead when Blackstock pulled the ball back and Tudgay header hit the cross bar.

At the other end McEveley whipped in a left foot curler, but his effort was well wide as the Reds went in trailing by a goal at the break.




The Reds started brightly in the second half, but it was Forest who had a penalty appeal waved down just two minutes after the resumption. Midfielder Greening’s right foot shot looked to have struck Davies on the hand, but Referee Ilderton turned down the vistor’s protests.

In the 51st minute Reid went close to doubling Forest’s lead with an ambitious left foot shot from distance, but his effort flew inches over the bar.

The Reds finally got a break and in the 53rd minute Norwich City loan singing Smith had a powerful shot charged down by centre-back Wootton.

A minute later a surging run from Done could have easily have lead to the equaliser. Digby set the winger free with a inch perfect pass, but Done fired wide from a tight angle.

Three minutes later Hill made his first substitution of the afternoon with Striker Gray brought on to freshen his strike force.

And there was also room for midfielder Dagnall and Dawson to enter the fray as the Reds went in search of an equaliser.

Shortly after the hour mark goalscorer McCleary forced a good low save from Steele, the keeper diving outstreched to firm his ball past the right post.

Guedioura shot over in the 71st minute as the game became even more stretched with the Reds looking for their leveler.

The equaliser eventually came and it was leading scorer DAVIES who got it with a super strike from distance.

Having lost his marker on the edge of the box the former Chesterfield hitman kicked out again bottom left hand corner with a rocket drive.

In the 83rd minute the Reds broke forward and Done forced a low save from Forest keeper Camp as the hosts pushed hard for a winner.

Forrest boss Cotterill made a triple substitution in the final ten minutes with Cunningham, Anderson and McGugan all brought on to stengthen the ranks, but it was Forest who nearly won it but for a brilliant save from keeper Steele in the second of four minutes added onto injury time.

McCleary beat Wiseman for pace, wide on the left wing and hit the target with venom, only for Steele to produce a brilliant save to thwart him at his near post.

That was the last of the chances as the Reds clung on for a battling point.