editorial image

ROTHERHAM scored two goals in the last nine minutes to come back from a goal down and move into the second round of the FA Cup.

Lewis Grabban was the hero as he levelled the match on 81 minutes and then struck home a penalty five minutes from time to complete a brilliant fightback by Andy Scott’s team.

The early moments involved Branston exchanging good natured banter with the locals packed on to the terracing. But the Millers were soon defending after Logan fluffed a kick. Tonge blocked Rutherford and when the ball ran away to Skelton he fired over the top from just outside the area.

Branston sent a header wide of his own goal from a free kick and the corner led to Rotherham going behind in the 16th minute.

Logan failed to deal with the high ball and then when the ball was put back into the area his punch was a poor one and it fell towards RUTHERFORD who rolled his shot into the net with the keeper scrambling on all fours and Millers defenders looking accusingly at him.

They were extremely fortunate not to go two down a few minutes later. The lively Mackreth broke away down the right, played the ball across where Boyes, who scored four in the last round, took a touch and then looked sure to score only to strike the bar with his shot from around eight yards.

Rotherham almost made the most of this let off when Grabban centred from the right but Revell put his header wide of the near post.

In stoppage time Holroyd set up Revell whose 25 yarder on the run was brilliantly touched over by Hurst.

Half-time: Barrow 1 Millers 0

At this stage Rotherham could have no complaints because Barrow were the better side and were playing the better football.

Manager Andy Scott had to do something and he made a double substitution sending on Schofield and Williams on the hour for Foster and Holroyd. Striker Williams, on loan from Reading, has just got back in action after six weeks out with a thigh injury.

Rotherham finally made their first opportunity this half. Evans cut the ball back from the byline, Schofield took a touch but then fired over the top.

Millers best moment quickly followed and it was the first action for keeper Hurst. Evans came in from the left, shot hard and low towards the far corner and the keeper just managed to turn the ball behind with Grabban rushing in.

Barrow replied and Almond was set up with a fine chance but he shot straight at Logan from 16 yards.

Rotherham needed to start applying some pressure if they were not to suffer a third successive FA Cup exit to a side from the Blue Square Bet Premier. When Harrison was fouled just outside the area the home crowd went silent with anxiety only for Evans to strike the free kick into the four-man wall.

With nine minutes left Rotherham snatched an equaliser when a corner was cleared, Tonge put the ball back over the defence and GRABBAN got free on the right to fire home superbly.

With five minutes left Rotherham dramatically went in front when GRABBAN struck a penalty high into the net after an Evans centre struck Smith’s arm.

BARROW: Hurst, Smith, M Pearson, Bolland, Skelton, Mackreth, Baker, Owen, Rutherford, Boyes, Almond. Subs: S Pearson, Nicholas, Cook, Ferrell, Sheridan,Lomax

ROTHERHAM UTD: Logan, Tonge, Taylor, Branston, Newey, Grabban, Harrison, Foster, Evans, Revell, Holroyd. Subs: Warrington, Mullins, Marshall, Banks, Schofield, Pringle, Williams

Referee: James Adcock (Notts)

For a full report, plus match pix, see the Green’Un.