editorial image

CHESTERFIELD Drew but still lost at Carlisle.

Withovernight temperatures in this neck of the woods hardly dropping below zero last night, there was no need for a formal inspection this morning but, ahead of kick-off, it had snowed and the temperature at 3pm was hovering around freezing point.

John Sheridan was hoping to follow up Monday’s JPT win and the Wembley visit with a fifth win on the spin.

It looked a great time to play Carlisle. Last week they were hammered 4-0 at Hartlepool and had leading scorer Lee Miller red carded. He missed the game through suspension after Carlisle’s appeal failed. Playmaker and third top scorer James Berrett was also suspended, and striker Rory Loy and key defender Matty Robson injured. Gregor Robertson was making his 200th career league appearance at left back. Liam Ridehalgh, scorer of one and provider of two in his last two games, continued on the left of midfield.

Trotman headed out for an early Carlisle corner which Michalik got on the end of to earn another corner that almost flew in straight from McGovern’s delivery but Spireites cleared the danger.

Spireites took the lead on 16 minutes. Ridehalgh crossed in, the half cleared ball came to Allott whose shot was blocked, Ridehalgh gathered again to deliver the ball into the box where TALBOT received, turned his marker and shot under the keeper from eight yards. It marked his first goal in just over a year. Lester burst forward after a midfield error but his effort was blocked and Boden couldn’t bring the loose ball to heel.

With Wycombe equalising against Tranmere and then taking the lead, the live table still showed Spireites above the drop zone. Sheridan would be looking to his defenders to now make it three shut-outs on the run.

Collin arrived at the ball just before Boden after Talbot’s head on as the game was generally condensed in the midfield third. Thompson blocked following a good Cook run and shot as Spireites’ rearguard looked solid.

Lee had to dive left to push away a Thirlwell long ranger and the keeper had to tip another 25 yarder wide of the post from Noble. Allott blocked Noble’s shot from the corner and Lee gathered the second corner with ease in what had been a fairly regulation first 45 minutes for the visitors’ back four.

Half-time: Carlisle 0 Chesterfield 1

Carlisle brought on Madden for Noble at the break.

Zoko’s ball in was tricky but the green shirted defence dealt with it as the home side forced the early second half pace. Back to back corners caused plenty of problems for Spireites and lifted the Carlisle crowd from their lethargy.

Trotman hacked a Zoko cross out for a corner that took some clearing. In heavy sleeting conditions, the reigning Johnstone Paint Trophy holders looked much sharper against the potential next winners of that competition than they had before the interval.

Thompson blocked from Thirlwell and Allott tackled Simek as he broke forwards as Spireites struggled to break out of their own half.

Ajose came on for his debut in place of Boden.

Trotman cut out a cross from the increasingly dangerous Zoko before Davis fed Ajose and his rolled first time shot beyond Collin went agonisingly wide. The sub then eluded his marker to dart into the box but his shot was hacked off the line by Murphy. Lee blocked from Zoko as the game really opened up as the home side threw men forwards.

Carlisle levelled on 74 minutes when PARKER headed home his first league goal from McGovern’s left wing corner. Ridehalgh blocked from Madden in a break away attack as both sides looked capable of nicking a winner.

Hurst’s back pass was intercepted by ZOKO, he flicked the ball by Lee and followed it up to turn the match on its head and send Spireites back to the bottom of the live league table.

CHESTERFIELD: Lee,Hurst,Trotman,Thompson,Robertson,Talbot, Allott, Davis, Ridehalgh,Boden,Lester