FULL TIME: Chesterfield 0 Leyton Orient 0

Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.
Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.

CHESTERFIELD doubled their points tally for the season to two but they had enough chances to have beaten bottom side Orient. A much improved show had one major blot, Jack Lester was stretchered off late in the game after a clash with Orient’s keeper.

Spireites needed to win to avoid their worst start to a league season in 110 years.

Mooney had the game’s first shot but hit wide from 20 yards as the sun came out at the B2net. Mendy should have scored on 4 minutes. Butcher and Daniels had a misunderstanding as the keeper cleared. The Frenchman pounced and found himself one on one but Butcher made up for his error with a save at his feet. The loose ball fell for Whitaker whose shot was blocked.

That gave Spireites and their fans some real encouragement and they began peppering Orient’s goal. Two quick corners, a Mendy shot that looked to be blocked by a hand, a desperate tackle on Lester and a Westcarr curled shot that flew just wide followed before 7 minutes were up and the home side, for the first time this season, looked like last term’s team.

Chesterfield continued to dominate with Mendy, Johnson and Westcarr instrumental in their positive efforts though Mooney did shoot just wide from a near post stab following Cureton’s cross.

Mendy and Westcarr went close as the home crowd continued to give some welcome encouragement.

Orient forced a couple of corners and Chorley headed powerfully just over as Chesterfield’s grip on the game was loosened though Ford left footed over from a good position.

Spireites somehow were kept out in stoppage time. Whitaker’s corner was headed strongly by Grounds before Westcarr and then Mendy had shots blocked on the line and Westcarr hit the side netting with the attack’s final flurry.

Half Time

Chesterfield 0 Orient 0

The game restarted with both sides looking nervy and fearful of making a mistake. Whitaker though got the half off to a belated start, winning the ball in midfield and playing a one-two with Mendy. Whitaker’s cross just eluded both Lester and Westcarr when a touch was all that was needed.

Orient’s Smith headed just over and Whitaker’s low shot forced Butcher to save as the game began to expand again.

Skipper Talbot won the ball well to set up an attack but Daniels did just enough to halt Mendy, who was having a solid debut ahead of Whitaker drilling a low box-edge shot just wide.

Cureton was replaced by Tehoue for the visitors.

Chorley was booked for hauling Lester down on the ‘D’ but Whitaker hit the free-kick over the bar. Cox, the game’s smallest player, skewed a far post header wide from Daniels’ cross. Boden came on for Westcarr and Lester was booked for a foul on Laird.

Spireites’ Smith picked up the ball well inside his own half, ran half the length of the pitch before cutting in and shooting just wide, not the sort of thing you associated with a player who’s not scored a league goal since 2008.

Morgan, an ex Orient player, came on for Johnson and immediately won a corner after his cross was deflected onto the roof of the net. Seconds after he crossed in for Lester who was floored by the keeper and received lengthy treatment but the foul went Orient’s way, much to the disgust of the Chesterfield fans behind that goal. Lester was eventually stretchered off and Bowery came on.

Porter replaced Mooney for Orient who then had Smith booked for a foul on Talbot.

Morgan slipped the ball through to Boden but the super-sub’s shot was parried and, at the second attempt, caught by Butcher.

Morgan made a superb run into the box but his shot was blocked as Spireites really turned up the wick for the final exchanges. Bowery headed an Allott long throw just wide as McSweeney came on for Laird just ahead of 6 minutes of stoppage time.

For a full report, see the Green’Un.