Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.

DONCASTER ROVERS suffered a blow to their hopes of staying in the Championship as they lost 2-1 at home to Dwerby County.

The Rams went in search of a second win in a row having beaten Nottingham Forest 1-0 at home on Tuesday night.

Derby who had the first meaningful chance when striker Ball tested Rovers’ keeper Ikeme with a powerful low drive.

The visitors were ahead thanks to a brilliant piece of quick-thinking from ROBINSON.

The striker found the ball at his feet from a long punt forward by his goalkeeper Fielding and, having seen Ikeme of his line, struck a sweet shot from over 40 yards out to lob the keeper for the opening goal. The hosts looked shell-shocked by the goal.

Ikeme then produced a fine save to thwart Roberts as the Rams went close to doubling their advantage.

Davies’ right-wing corner was headed clear by Chimbonda, but the ball fell sweetly for Roberts on the volley as the left-back hit the target with pace. Ikeme parried and the home side averted the danger.

Rovers had their first chance in the 31st minute when Diouf did brilliantly to cut the ball back from the left byline and strike partner Piquionne saw his bullet header superbly saved by Fielding.

Robinson dragged a left-foot shot wide of the target as the Rams pushed for a second goal, before Diouf curled a right-foot free-kick over after Green had felled Piquionne on the edge of the box.

Martis got an important block on Green’s goalbound shot.



Derby..................... 1

The Rams nearly doubled their lead in the 50th minute but Ikeme gathered easily.

But in the 55th minute former Rovers full-back ROBERTS came back to haunt his former club with a thumping drive.

Having seen his early volley well-saved the Welshman didn’t give keeper Ikeme a hope from a tight angle.

Saunders made his first substitution as Oster replaced Coppinger.

Then, having struggled to create hardly any clearcut chances on target, DIOUF pulled a goal back to send the home supporters into full voice.

The Rovers fans chanted “Red Army, Red Army” as they looked to inspire their team to an equaliser.

It was a good goal as well, Giles Barnes’ back header found Diouf inside the box and he lashed into the net to make 2-1.

Rovers made another change with Martis, only just back in the side after his groin injury, replaced in central defence by Hird as the hosts sured up for their final phase of the match.

Diouf picked out Piquionne with a lovely pass from the left wing, but the Rams defended well to avoid the striker levelling.

Derby then made their first change when the hard-working Ball was replaced by Tyson with 11 minutes remaining.

With five minutes remaining debutant Naylor was unlucky not to put the contest out of reach as he saw his left-foot shot inside the box deflected over the bar for a corner.

Davies’ corners had caused Rovers problems all day, but the hosts defended bravely to give themselves a sniff of a draw in the last few minutes.

Green had the ball in the back of the net at the death but his effort was ruled out for offside.

A spectator then halted play by running on to the pitch before ground stewards caught him and the action got underway again.

Striker Hayter replaced Barnes for the last couple of minutes plus four minutes of injury-time as Rovers went in search of an equaliser, but Bennett curled over with what proved to be the last chance of the game.