Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.

Bottom OF THE TABLE Doncaster Rovers pulled off the shock of the day in the Championship, beating table toppers Southampton at he Keepmoat Stadium

Rovers made a bright start and former Southampton midfielder Gillett tested former team-mate Davis with a 25-yarder on four minutes.

Schneiderli got a shot on target for Saints from just outside the area but it lacked the power to trouble Ikeme, who made an easy save.

Saints centre back Hooiveld, who joined the club on a permanent basis this week after impressing whilst on loan, cut out Goulon’s ball meant for Sharp just outside the visitors’ area.

Rovers had given a good account of themselves in the first quarter with little to choose between the sides.

Ilunga produced a timely interception of a ball destined for to the unmarked Schneiderlin just outside the six-yard-box.

Stock shot just wide of the left-hand post from 25 yards out after O’Connor and Fortune had combined well.

Ilunga conceded a corner - from which Fox overhit his cross - when trying to stop De Ridder on the half hour.

Ikeme saved well at the expense of a 33rd minute corner after Schneiderlin had found himself in space down the right.

Sharp won Rovers a corner at the other end with his second attempt at goal after being set up by Coppinger.

Do Prado produced a goal-line clearance to keep out Ilunga’s header from the resulting cross.

Ikeme saved well at the expense of a 39th minute corner from Do Prado. Do Prado then shot high and wide with an angled effort from the edge of the area as Saints finished the half strongly.

De Ridder was fortunate not to pick up a booking for a foul on Ilunga just outside the box.

Rovers centre-back Hird had a long range shot blocked by a defender in stoppage time.


Rovers 0 Southampton 0

Rovers started the second half with Barnes on for Goulon.

Coppinger picked out Sharp in the box with a right-wing cross but the man targeted in the summer by Saints couldn’t get a shot away under pressure from a defender.

Do Prado had a shot on-goal blocked by Hird but Ikeme made an easy collection.

O’Connor produced an excellent tackle on Lallana on the edge of the box as the Southampton danger-man looked to try and get a shot away.

Rovers broke the deadlock on the hour when SHARP, making it three in his last two games, beat Davis from about 10 yards out after getting on the end of Fortune’s right-wing cross.

Barnes had a powerful 25-yard free-kick blocked for a 62 minute corner.

Ilunga picked out Sharp to initiate another Rovers raid which finally fizzled out 15 yards into the visitors’ half when Stock lost possession.

Fortune shot just wide of the left-hand post from 20 yards out after getting the better of a defender.

O’Connor set Coppinger free on the right, deep in the Saints half, only to see his cross fall straight into Davis’ arms.

Saints made a double substitution on 72 minutes with Holmes replacing De Ridder and Barnard coming on for Cork.

Coppinger had strong claims for a penalty turned down by referee Haynes, after taking a tumble in the box.

Barnes made a strong midfield run, only to shoot straight at Davis from 25 yards out.

Rovers made a second change on 80 minutes with Friend coming on for Fortune. They made a third substitution seven minutes later with Hayter replacing Sharp.

Fox looked to have handled the ball just inside the area under pressure from Coppinger in stoppage time.

Barnes shot just wide from the edge of the area in the last minutes of stoppage time.

For a full report, see the Green’Un