Full Time report: Cheltenham 1 Chesterfield 4

Chesterfield's Sam Morsy and Liam Cooper work together at Cheltenham
Chesterfield's Sam Morsy and Liam Cooper work together at Cheltenham

Chesterfield maintained their position at the top of League Two with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Cheltenham at Whaddon Road.

Three goals in four minutes midway through the first half saw Spireites bounce back in style from their weekend defeat to Wycombe.

Danny Gardner kicked things off with a cracker before Eoin Doyle and Ollie Banks rocked the Robins and then Liam Cooper added a fourth.

Byron Harrison pulled one back for the Robins 12 minutes after the break.

Spireites boss Paul Cook made two changes to his starting XI with one of them enforced.

Dan Gardner came into the side for Sam Hird, whom he came off the bench to replace at the weekend.

Meanwhile Jay O’Shea, who came off at half time in that game didn’t recover sufficiently enough from his back injury to take a starting berth and had to settle for a place among the substitutes, with young midfielder Ollie Banks promoted.

Chesterfield showed no hangover from Saturday - they had been poor but appeared determined to rectify that with a promising opening in which they had a couple of half chances to take the lead.

Richie Humphreys dangerous cross into the box on two minutes wreaked havoc and caused an early warning to Cheltenham, with the ball eventually running out of play.

The visitors dominated possession without exerting much pressure on goal, however they were almost caught out on seven minutes when Terry Gornell shot from the edge of the box but Tommy Lee got down well to save.

Banks saw a shot deflected wide on nine minutes and on 13 minutes Gardner had a goal-bound effort blocked.

Cheltenham looked like coming into the game more as the half wore on, however Chesterfield stung the home side with a quick-fire treble.

On 22 minutes the Robins had a corner which Spireites cleared well and broke with pace with Gary Roberts eventually crossing for Gardner who rifled home superbly.

A minute later the lead was doubled when Banks fed Doyle who fired into the top corner.

Spireites were buzzing now and the third arrived on 26 minutes when a clearly rattled Cheltenham defence failed to clear and the ball landed kindly for Banks who also found the top corner.

On 26 minutes amazingly it was four as Gardner’s corner found Liam Cooper who headed home.

Chesterfield continued to press and Ian Evett was next to have a go, with his shot cleared off the line after the skipper received the ball from a Roberts corner.

Cheltenham made a rare foray into the visitors half on 40 minutes but Ashley Vincent fired wide and before long normal service resumed when Matt Roberts had to come back for the Robins to cut out a Banks header which looked set to land perfectly for Doyle.

Half Time: Cheltenham 0 Chesterfield 4

Chesterfield began the second half well but 12 minutes after the break they conceded when from a corner, Byron Harrison fired into the bottom left hand corner beyond Lee.

Armand Gnanduillet replaced Banks and Sam Hird came on for Gardner as Paul Cook freshened things up.

Cheltenham continued to press but were poor in front of goal - Ashley Vincent sliced wide on 69 minutes then two minutes later made a hash of another shot and allowed Cooper to clear the danger.

Ten minutes later Terry Gornell missed from a few yards out for the home side.

Chesterfield made their final change with five minutes to go as Sam Togwell replaced Jimmy Ryan. And Togwell came close to scoring soon after but just failed to connect well from a Roberts cross.

Gnanduillet had Spireites final opportunity, again from a Roberts cross, but missed the target.

Full Time: Cheltenham 1 Chesterfield 4

Cheltenham Town: Brown; Brundle, Ihekwe, Elliott (c), Braham-Barrett; Deering, Richards; McGlashan, Gornell, Vincent; Harrison

Subs: Taylor, Cureton, Roberts (GK), Kotwica, Jombati, Williams, Lucas.

Chesterfield FC: Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (c), Cooper, Humphreys, Ryan, Morsy; Gardner, Banks, Roberts; Doyle.

Subs: Smith, Hird, Togwell, Richards, O’Shea, Gnanduillet, Dunbavin (GK)

Referee: Mick Russell (Hertfordshire)