Full Time report: Rotherham United 1 Fulham 3

Chris Maguire in action against Fulham. Picture: Jim Brailsford
Chris Maguire in action against Fulham. Picture: Jim Brailsford

Rotherham United head into the international break at the foot of the Championship table after a 3-1 home defeat against Fulham.

The Millers, who found themselves 2-0 down within the first 15 minutes, missed a 54th-minute penalty through Matt Derbyshire before Jonson Clarke-Harris gave them hope with a thumping 20-yarder with 18 minutes to go.

But the visitors - who had started the match second from bottom - held out, adding a third goal in time added on, and the boos rang out at AESSEAL New York Stadium at the end after a disjointed, below-par display by Steve Evans' side.

Ben Pringle needed only seven minutes of his return to New York to score against his old club, tapping in after goalkeeper Adam Collin had parried a header by Moussa Dembele.

And eight minutes later Rotherham were 2-0 down when Greg Halford brought down James Husband, with Ross McCormack converting the spot-kick.

Before the break, Paul Green had a goal ruled out for offside and Clarke-Harris was denied a clear penalty when Pringle brought him down in the area..

Collins was preferred in goal to Kelle Roos, and Evans made three changes to the team which was unlucky to lose in the Capital One Cup in midweek to Premier League Norwich City.

MORE: Steve Evans reaction to defeat to Fulham

Chris Maguire, Paul Green and Richie Smallwood, recovered from a hamstring injury, came in, with Emmanuel Ledesma, Grant Ward and the injured Lee Frecklington dropping out.

Maguire and Joe Newell were both taken off at half-time, with Grant Ward and Aidy White coming in, and all three substitutes were on by the 53rd minute when Frazer Richardson was stretchered off to be replaced by Ledesma.

Fulham wrapped up all three points in time added on through sub Cauley Woodrow.

Rotherham United (4-4-2): Collin; Buxton, Halford (c), Collins, Richardson (Ledesma 53); Maguire (G Ward H-T), Green, Smallwood, Newell (White H-T); Derbyshire, Clarke-Harris. Subs not used: Roos, D Ward, Ledesma, Rawson, Thorpe.

Fulham (4-4-2): Lonergan; Richards, Ream, Burn, Husband; Ciarney, Tunnicliffe, O'Hara, Pringle (Kacaniklic, 90+5); McCormack (c) (Christensen 82), Dembele (Woodrow 76). Subs not used: Lewis, Hutchinson, Voser, Mattila.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham (Tyne & Wear).

Attendance: 8,839 (704).