editorial image

ROTHERHAM UNITED produced their best 45 minutes of the season but then Crawley used the wind advantage to score twice in the second half.

First effect of today’s wind came before kick off - the safety officer wouldn’t allow any of the free standing advertising boards that are normally around the pitch.

They were all removed, giving an even greater impression of a wide open arena.

It was the first ever meeting between the clubs and Crawley arrived in second place and justifying their tag as one of the favourites to go up.

They also arrived here as the division’s top scorers whilst the Millers were also amongst the leading marksmen at this level.

And when the action started everyone in the ground, including the PA announcer who began playing the celebration music, thought Rotherham had scored.

Mills lost control and Schofield nicked the ball away to send Williams heading goalwards and in the clear.

He hammered his shot past the keeper and as the net rippled the crowd rose to celebrate but what had happened is that the shot had struck the net support behind the goal and run along the back of the net giving the illusion that it was actually in the net and therefore a goal. To the crowd’s horror they saw Williams with his head in his hands and reality dawned.

Rotherham should have scored before this.

Revell broke away but his pass to Schofield forced the midfielder to take a touch rather than a shot. Davis was able to block him and when the ball ran free Grabban fired a great chance wide.

Rotherham had opened really well and from a short corner Schofield saw his centre just evade two players inside the six yard area.

But on 19 minutes Rotherham got the lead their terrific opening deserved and this time there was no doubt at all about the goal for WILLIAMS.

A long ball from Logan was headed on by Revell and Williams got behind the defence before rattling a fine finish high into the far corner of the net for an excellent first goal for the club.


Millers 1 Crawley 0

Crawley now had the strong wind at their backs as they defended the Clock End and they quickly had the ball and numbers in Rotherham’s half.

It took them just three minutes to equalise. Tubbs lifted a short pass towards his fellow striker BARNETT who was in space on the left and he produced a lethal finish.

Crawley took the lead when SIMPSON struck a shot against the post. It rebounded across the goal area back to him and he took control before finishing things off. The Millers then went close to an equaliser when Revell’s centre was diverted towards Wood who struck a first time shot wide.

For a full report, see the Green’Un