editorial image

Brave 10-men Millers concede late winner in Cup

After Lewis Grabban’s 41st minute penalty had put Rotherham United in front, they then had Marcus Marshall sent off.

And the 10 men just failed to hold out losing to a Nicky Wroe penalty with eight minutes left after a disputed Ian Sharps equaliser.

The game began slightly low key before a handling offence by Newey offered Richards an opportunity from the free kick 25 yards out.

He curled his effort over the top at which point keeper Logan dashed from his goal, outside his area to speak to Branston and the pair were merely inches apart as they exchanged words.

Four minutes from half time Rotherham went in front.

Marshall made ground down the right and from his centre Williams miskicked completely but Wood was alert, nipped in and as he touched the ball away was brought down by Richards inside the area.

Grabban, who scored from the spot in the last round at Barrow, confidently sent the keeper the wrong way as he stroked the ball into the right hand corner.

In the final minute Rotherham found themselves down to 10 men.

Marshall was caught on the turn and he genuinely mistimed his tackle on Wright but the booking was inevitable and as it was his second one, off he went.

Instantly Tonge went on, with Williams the player to be substituted.

With the Millers down to 10 men, it seemed fairly obvious that it would be a backs to the wall job and they quickly found themselves pegged back but not before they could have increased their lead.

Revell got away up the right, struck a low ball across the goal face and Wood, sliding in, just failed to connect.

Instead of being two down Shrewsbury swept downfield and gained the corner from which they equalised two minutes into the half.

The corner from the left went into a group of players, struck Sharps and dropped down with the former Rotherham defender firing home the loose ball - but there were protests.

The Millers battled on with Raynes making a brave header to deny Morgan and Schofield was a whisker away with a free kick.

But with eight minutes to go Shrewsbury were awarded a penalty when Mullins was adjudged to have pulled back Morgan and Wroe hammered home the spot kick with Mullins continuing to protest his innocence.

For a full report, see the Green’Un