MATCH REPORT: Chesterfield 1 Bury 0

Goal threat: Spireites' match winner Leon Clarke tangles with Bury's Efe Sodje.      Picture: tina jenner
Goal threat: Spireites' match winner Leon Clarke tangles with Bury's Efe Sodje. Picture: tina jenner

Leon Clarke score his second goal in two games to give Spireites victory and a third consecutive clean sheet, the first time John Sheridan has witnessed three shuts outs with the club.

Danny Whitaker missed out on a place in a Sheridan side for the first time having failed a late fitness test. He was replaced by Scott Boden, who started the game on the left.

Bury, beaten in each of their last four League games, drafted in ex-Spireites loan keeper Trevor Carson for his debut, borrowed from Sunderland. The visitors started confidently and Mike Jones went close from an early corner. Westcarr drilled a couple of long range efforts well over in a turgid opening.

Alex Mendy saw a 30 yard effort deflect for Spireites first corner and the impressive Lee Johnson’s flag kick was volleyed inches over by Ford as the game began to open up with the hosts leading the contests’ revitalisation.

Mendy got a couple of dangerous runs in, but he just failed to find the killer ball at the end of his eye-catching work whilst Lee, quiet in his 200th career league start, had to rise well to keep out Ashley Eastham, who’d gone forward for a free-kick.

Spireites’ best first half opening came just before the break. Westcarr fed Boden and his first time right footed 10-yarder was expertly saved by Carson. Boden and Westcarr switched roles for the start of the second half which soon saw the double booking of Johnson and Peter Sweeney for a minor fracas.

Boden nicked the ball off Eastham and fed Clarke, who was crowded out by Efe Sodje but he managed to find Westcarr, but his shot was slightly scuffed and a good chance went begging as Spireites, playing towards the home fans, began to look dangerous. Sweeney escaped a red card as he tripped Smith from behind as Spireites broke away from a corner, the free-kick was fruitless. Allott hit well wide at full stretch as the home pressure built up.

Sheridan’s men took a deserved lead when Boden’s enterprise and Westcarr’s dummy saw the cross met by Clarke who left footed home for his second in two games.

Seconds later Clarke took advantage of a Carson misjudgement to find Boden but he miscued, Westcarr received but stabbed the ball just wide as Chesterfield went for the jugular. With Bury piling bodies forwards Ford, Lee and Allott all had to block in the same attack, prompted by former Owls man Giles Coke. Immediately afterwards, Lee had to save low from Andy Bishop and then dive in at the feet of the same player.

Spireites had a lucky escape when Jones’s cross squirmed from the grasp of Lee and fell for Mark Cullen, two yards out and in front of an open goal. But he shinned his effort straight to the otherwise stranded Lee, who soon limped out of the action to give Greg Fleming a debut.

Chesterfield: Lee 6 (Fleming 83); Talbot 7, Ford 6 (Holden 76), Grounds 7, Smith 7; Mendy 7, Johnson 8 (Randall 90), Allott 7, Boden 7; Westcarr 6; Clarke 6. Subs (not used): Clay, Bowery.

Goal: Clarke 66

Booked: Johnson 48

Bury: Carson 6; Picken 7, Sodje 6, Eastham 6, Skarz 6; Worrall 7, Sweeney 6, M.Jones 6 (John-Lewis 78), Byrne 6 (Coke 68); Harrad 6 (Cullen 68), Bishop 6. Subs (not used): Belford, A.Jones.

Booked: Sodje 26, Sweeney 48, Bishop 82, Coke 90.

Ref: Craig Pawson

Attendance: 5,727