Match Report: Rotherham United 0 Barnet 2

Rotherham United's Jason Taylor takes a shot at goal
Rotherham United's Jason Taylor takes a shot at goal

ROTHERHAM United had a setback in their promotion battle as a fast-improving Barnet secured a comfortable victory at the New York Stadium.

Goals by Hyde in the 21st minute and Yiadom eight minutes from time made it another home defeat for Steve Evans’ team.

Rotherham were the first to foray forward but Morgan missed his shot after finding space on the far side of the box. Davids showed the first bit of craft of the game, after skipping by Pringle he clipped a ball across the box which earned Barnet a corner. Byrne swung it in invitingly but Iro’s header looped goalwards into Warrington’s grasp.

Morgan earned a corner which Pirngle took short to Frecklington. His curving cross looked dangerous but Stack managed to punch it clear. Rotherham were caught napping in the 21st minute and went a goal down. Byrne chipped a ball between the defence which HYDE ran onto unopposed and he lobbed the outcoming Warrington from the edge of the box with ease.

Warrington then had to stretch to keep out Sekajja’s volley and from the resulting corner Iro almost doubled the lead but his brave diving header was cleared off the line by Bradley. Iro had taken a whack in the attack and had to be replaced by Kamdjo after being carried off on a stretcher following a lengthy amount of treatment.

Rotherham almost got level before the break when the ball was worked to Mullins on the left hand side of the box and his curled shot had to be cleared over by a Barnet defender. From the corner came a good, old-fashioned scramble with at least three players having shots as the ball ricocheted everywhere apart from over the line.

Six minutes had been added on at the end of the first half after Iro’s injury which ensured the second half began later than usual.

Barnet were having joy down the left and clever play by Holmes presented them with a dangerous looking free-kick but Rotherham broke and a neat turn by Morgan saw him with a sight of Stack’s goal but he mishit his shot when Odejayi was perhaps better placed.

Holmes then cut in from the left and his swerving shot had to be fisted over by Warrington.

Pringle had been largely overshadowed by Davids and he was replaced by Kearns for his debut and he set up a chance after a sharp turn for Odejayi but the striker didn’t connect properly.

Rotherham had been pressing but Barnet came close to sealing the game and would have had it not been for Warrington’s agility.

A quick free-kick was worked to Byrne 25 yards out and his curled effort was pushed over the bar.

The second did come only a minute later on 82 minutes when Holmes, a torment all afternoon, squared for YIADOM to side foot in.

Rotherham continued to press for a goal but balls into the box were continually dealt with in impressive manner by the Barnet box and Stack continued to be alert to danger.

Holmes then struck the post for Barnet after again cutting inside successfully.