Millers Match Report: Burton 2 Rotherham United 0

Jordan Slew competes with Lee Bell
Jordan Slew competes with Lee Bell

ROTHERHAM United suffered a 2-0 defeat at League Two promotion rivals Burton after being reduced to nine men.

As usual, the Millers had a very good following at this ground - and a noisy one as well - to face the side with the division’s best home record.

Many would have chatted about the speculation that Steve Evans might become a target for managerless Notts County.

The speculation story did not include any suggestion of an an approach but said Notts were, “considering” one, which seems rather premature - someone letting on they were perhaps thinking about it.

There was a good atmosphere as both teams set about things with vigour, with Rotherham the most threatening.

However, an improved Burton spell saw them take the lead on 36 minutes.

A long ball was flicked on by Symes. Kee collected it with Arnason right behind him and he twisted then turned away from the defender before striking a low, right-foot shot beyond Warrington.

Things turned worse for the Millers when they were reduced to ten men right on half-time with a sending-off.

Noble had been booked minutes earlier and then he made a genuine attempt to play the ball but brought down Maghoma.

The ref went across and showed a second yellow card to Noble and so, after just two fouls, the Millers midfielder saw his afternoon ended.

Half-time: Burton 1 Millers 0

At half-time Rotherham made a double change. Frecklington replaced Pringle and Slew was replaced by Kearns who went on the right flank.

As they had to, Rotherham were pushing forward but on 55 minutes they were struck a damaging blow and again it was poor defending.

Kee took possession of a high ball as it dropped, turned away from Arnason and struck a shot from around 18 yards inside the far post.

It was now going to be really uphill for the Millers.

Nardiello thought he had pulled one back with a brilliant finish but he had come back from an offside position.

Revell replaced Nardiello and a Mullins’ header was cleared off the line as Rotherham stared at a first away defeat since mid-October, 5-0 at Dagenham. away a penalty a

In the dying seconds O’Connor gave away a penalty and was sent off, with keeper Warrington saving the spot-kick.