Derby joy soon turns sour for Sheffield FC

Glyn Cotton's corner goes directly into the Steels net for the only goal at Bracken Moor. Photo: Ben Webster
Glyn Cotton's corner goes directly into the Steels net for the only goal at Bracken Moor. Photo: Ben Webster

It was a bitter-sweet Christmas for Sheffield FC.

They took the bragging rights in part one of the cross-city derby, defeating neighbours Stocksbridge 1-0 at Bracken Moor on Boxing Day.

But then they fell to a 3-1 home reversal against Belper Town just 48-hours later.

“I thought we put in the effort and performance we needed to get the win at Stocksbridge,” said Club boss Andy Kiwomya.

“It was a hard game especially with the wind making it difficult for both teams. It wasn’t pretty but I thought we coped with it better.

“I was very pleased with the performance and it showed we have got what it takes to grind out a result.

“Against Belper it was just one of those performances you couldn’t account for. I don’t think we really adapted to the conditions.

“We’ve made two mistakes and they’ve scored from both of them which left us with a lot to do.

“The keeper made a mistake for the first one then Ben Turner, who was outstanding for us at Stocksbridge, slipped and it lets them in for the second.

“Ben rarely makes a mistake so you can’t fault him it was just one of those things. The lads gave everything which is all you can ask for. Its hard playing two games in the space of a few days.

“Its tiring and it doesn’t give you the chance to recover from knocks.”

Sheffield were behind after just six minutes when goalkeeper Andrew Robertson spilled a lofted free-kick to leave Alex Steadman with the simplest of tasks to head the ball into an empty net.

Steadman scored his and Belper’s second on the stroke of half-time, thumping the ball hard and low past Robertson.

At 2-0 Sheffield were still in with a shout but just three minutes into the second half they conceded again as Rob Stevenson cut in from the left to score with a shot inside Robertson’s near post that effectively put the game beyond the hosts.

Sheffield did get on the score sheet with eight minutes remaining through a James Gregory header.

The winger was then denied by a wonderful save from the Nailers keeper Dan Haystead and had that gone in it would have set-up a grandstand finish.

Meanwhile, defender Hafrez Hamzat is likely to be out for at least a fortnight after coming off with a hamstring strain in the win at Stocksbridge.

“Its very frustrating for the lad,” said Kiwomya. “He loves playing and had only just come back from injury.”