FOOTBALL: Turner prize boosts Steels survival bid

editorial image

It was the tale of the late goals for both Stocksbridge Park Steels and Sheffield FC.

Steels came from behind to win their crunch relegation battle 2-1 at rock bottom Eastwood Town with a last gasp winner, while Club saw two points slip away at Mickleover Sport as the hosts came from 3-1 down to snatch an injury time equaliser.

Sheffield’s caretaker boss Ian Whitehorne, whom the club have confirmed will remain in the post until the end of the season, said: “Disappointed is an understatement; it feels like a defeat. But on reflection four points from two tricky away games when our form has not been good, is a step in the right direction.”

Mickleover opened the scoring on nine minutes through a Robert Ritchie-Smith header before Club hit back to go in at the break with a 3-1 advantage. Vill Powell restored parity from the penalty spot on 22 minutes after being brought down in the area.

Sheffield piled on the pressure and it came as no surprise when Matt Roney fired them in front on 31 minutes. Anton Foster bagged the third just before the interval with a fine effort from the edge of the box.

Jack Muldoon was agonisingly close to a fourth with a stinging effort which rattled the crossbar at the start of the second half. But on the hour mark the home side were back in the game when Gareth Langfold poked home from close range.

Just when it seemed Sheffield would hang on, they conceded a free-kick in the first minute of stoppage time and when the ball was knocked into the box Nick Wood stole in at the far post to fire Sports level.

Jack Waddle, son of Chris, came on as a substitute for Club, having joined on loan from Chesterfield. The 19-year-old is on the transfer list at the Proact Stadium.

Stocksbridge climbed out of the bottom two but they left it oh so late against the Premier Division bottom club in a game that Steels simply had to win.

Eastwood dominated the first half and deservedly went in at the break 1-0 up through Jacob Green’s sixth minute header.

Stocksbrdge though came out fired up after the break equalising on 54 minutes. thanks to Brett Bowden-Lovell. Substitute Jordan Thewlis was twice denied before Stocksbridge grabbed the winner in the third minute of time added on when Ben Turner smashed home Alex Callery’s cross at the far post.

Elsewhere Worksop Town saw their promotion hopes dented with a 3-1 defeat at Stafford Rangers.

Gavin Allott netted a hat-trick as Frickley Athletic came from 3-1 down at home against Rushall Olympic to salvage a point in a 3-3 draw.

Matlock Town lost 2-1 at Blyth Spartans where James Lukic’s 66th minute own-goal proved decisive, while Mark Reed’s 90th minute penalty saw Buxton beat AFC Fylde 1-0 at home.

TUESDAY: Doodson Sport League Cup Second Round: Brigg Town v Sheffield FC.

Doodson Sport League Cup Third Round: Rainworth MW v Buxton, Stocksbridge Park Steels v Blyth Spartans

WEDNESDAY: Doodson Sport League Cup Third Round: Worksop Town v Frickley Athletic.