Hallam show they’re made of the Wright stuff with 5-0 win

Sheffield FC v Sheffield United  16.7.14'Martyn Harrison'Jake Wright - Sheffield United''� BLADES SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY
Sheffield FC v Sheffield United 16.7.14'Martyn Harrison'Jake Wright - Sheffield United''� BLADES SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY

Ten goals scored, two clean sheets and maximum points from the last two games, both of which were on the road.

The statistics clearly show Hallam are heading in the right direction, after completing a league double over struggling Grimsby Borough with a comfortable 5-0 victory at Bradley Road.

Jack Hall broke the deadlock on 24 minutes with a fine volley over the keeper from the edge of the box after the Borough defence had only half cleared a free-kick.

Steve Brammer doubled the lead two minutes into the second half with a cool 18-yard finish from Jake Wright’s pass. Wright curled a beauty of a free-kick into the top corner five minutes later to put Hallam 3-0 up.

Wright then saw his penalty kick saved on 63 minutes but the loanee from Sheffield United made amends, scoring the Countrymen’s fourth on 67 minutes for his fourth goal in two games.

And Wright was involved in the fifth when the striker was hauled down in the area. This time Brammer stepped up to take the spot-kick, beating the keeper confidently into the bottom corner to complete the scoring.

Handsworth Parramore made it three league wins on the spin when they completed the double over neighbours Parkgate with a 2-0 victory at Green Lane.

Lee Whittington gave the Ambers a 10th minute lead after pouncing on a short backpass. And it was Whittington who tucked away the second on 27 minutes after Sam Smith had created the opening.

Handsworth might well have added to their score with Gareth Griffiths and Nathan Joynes both hitting the woodwork inside the last 15 minutes.

Maltby Main romped to their biggest win of recent times, thrashing Retford United 9-3 at Muglet Lane in a game that saw both sides finish with ten men.

Ben Thornton fired the Miners into a 27th minute lead only for the visitors to hit back to go 2-1 up with two quick-fire goals from Leigh Hutching and an Adam Lee penalty.

However, a Reece Wesley strike had Maltby back on level terms six minutes before the break with Dean Smith nodding the home side back in front once more two minutes after the restart.

Sam Foster soon stretched the lead, yet despite Retford having Craig Morley sent off just before the hour, the visitors got back in the game through a 68th minute Leigh Hutchinson effort.

Maltby then had Tom Coker sent-off but Micky Norbury’s men adapted better than Retford with ten men as Louis Penty and Nicky Darker on 75 and 78 minutes respectively put the game beyond the Badgers at 6-3. But there was no let up from the home side as Thornton, Michael Cookson and Smith added three more inside the last 10 minutes.

Athersley Recreation ended a run of eight games without a win, beating Albion Sports 3-1 at Sheerien Park. Lee Bennett and Daniel Joynes gave the home side the perfect start with two goals inside the opening 15 minutes. Albion were back in the contest just before the break through a Ferdinand Annor effort, but Josh Moore’s 10th goal of the season wrapped up the points 10 minutes from time.

Dronfield Town remain second from bottom in Division One despite finishing with nine-men and coming from behind three times to draw 3-3 at high riding Yorkshire Amateur.

Jamie Willis and Dan Barnsley had twice cancelled out the hosts’ lead. And debut maker Dean Sidebottom hauled his side level once more with four minutes remaining.

Tomorrow’s fixtures: Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup Quarterfinal: Frickley Athletic v Hemsworth MW, Swallownest MW v Handsworth Parramore.

FA Vase Third Round: Shaw Lane Aquaforce v Shildon.

Division One: Selby Town v Dronfield Town.