Joynes sees red as Steels slip up against drop rivals

Nathan Joynes races on to a through ball
Nathan Joynes races on to a through ball

Stocksbridge Park Steels can start saying their farewells to the Premier Division after slumping to a 3-0 defeat against fellow strugglers Stafford Rangers.

The home defeat saw Steels slip to second bottom, as Rangers enjoyed only their second away win of the season.

Three late goals, one from each of their second half substitutes, made the difference, after Steels had leading scorer Nathan Joynes sent off just after the break.

Joynes had the hosts best effort before his dismissal, forcing the Rangers keeper into a fine save with a shot on the turn. His speculative 25-yard strike then zipped just past the upright.

Ian Craney missed the chance to put Rangers ahead when he blasted his first-half penalty over the bar, and Joynes was sent off after 51 minutes for leading with his elbow.

Rangers finally made their numerical advantage count on 74 minutes when Daniel Cope swept home a cross. Levi Reid doubled the lead a minute later, before Saul Henderson tapped in the third in the final minute.

A full report and pictures will be available in Friday’s Grass Roots supplement.

Playing their first home game in over two months, Sheffield FC were held to a goalless draw by bogey side Carlton Town.

Richard Stirrup might well have had a hat-trick inside the first 15 minutes but was denied on each occasion by Carlton keeper Jon Viscosi.

Worksop Town came out on top in their promotion clash with play-off rivals Ashton United, thanks to a late header from Jamie Jackson.

Dale Johnson scored at the second attempt to give Ashton a 13th minute lead but Worksop were level just before the half hour mark when Tom Denton flicked the ball on for Leon Mettam to score from close range.

Denton nodded the Tigers in front 10 minutes into the second half only for a defensive error allowing Jason Gorton to level the scores on 77 minutes.

But with two minutes remaining Jackson powerfully headed home a Mettam cross for the winner.

Frickley Athletic gave their Premier Division survival hopes a boost with a 2-0 home win over Nantwich Town thanks to Jake Picton’s double.