Owls FT: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Millwall 2

Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Millwall 2
Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 2 Millwall 2

Sheffield Wednesday were denied victory over Millwall by a late penalty.

Stephen Bywater and Mark Beevers must have felt doubly at home on their return to Hillsborough with Millwall.

Reda Johnson after scoring

Reda Johnson after scoring

For they and team-mates started the match in the Owls’ yellow-and-blue away kit of last season after the visitors brought the wrong strip by mistake.

The shirts were numbered one to 11 but had no names on the back.

Millwall’s proper strip was said to be on its way and they were planning to change into it at half-time.

The start to the game was extraordinary as well.

Owls manager Dave Jones

Owls manager Dave Jones

Kirkland had to make a great save in the second minute when Chaplow met a left-wing cross by Martin, and Millwall, without a league goal until today, were gifted a fourth minute lead when another ball from the left by Martin, after poor defending by Wednesday, hit ZAYATTE, who was facing his own goal, and the ball bounced into the net off him though McDonald seemed to be trying to claim a touch.

Three minutes after that REDA JOHNSON marked his return with a trademark goal. Millwall failed to deal properly with a left-side free kick from Buxton to the far post, it broke in the air to Johnson and he headed home from close range in a front of a delighted Kop.

Wednesday pinned Millwall back and surged into the lead with a fine strike in the 21st minute.

Nuhiu won possession and HELAN drilled a shot into Bywater’s bottom left-hand corner from around 25 yards.

Antonio could have made it 3-1: a tackle by Gardner became a through ball for the striker and he skinned Shittu but shot into the Kop with his left foot from the edge of the box.

The Owls looked comfortably in control.

From a long throw by Antonio, Johnson was outnumbered but showed his power to help the ball on to Coke, who half-hit a volley at Bywater.

A delightful move included a link-up between Antonio and Nuhiu, a backheel by the latter, and a good sliding tackle from Beevers after Palmer tried to put Nuhiu through.

Millwall had a double escape in the 41st minute. After a good cross from Buxton, a mis-timed shot by Johnson provided a Nuhiu header that came back off the post to Johnson, whose low shot was well saved.

Millwall were fortunate to be only 2-1 down at the break.

Millwall duly turned out in their proper away kit for the second half - orange with white trim - to ironic cheers from home fans. Buxton stayed off and was replaced by Semedo, and Palmer switched to right back. Wednesday went 4-5-1, with Antonio and Helan no doubt primed to break forward on the flanks.Shittu was offf and replaced by Robinson at centre half.

Antonio took too long over a run into the box and the ref ignored suspicions of a penalty after he was tackled by Lowry. Wednesday probably would disagree with the disallowing of a well-taken goal by Johnson in the 58th minute. Bywatertried to deal with a free kick by Helan and only knocked the ball down to the Johnson, who shot low into the net. But the ref ruled that the keeper had been fouled. Even more controversially, perhaps, the Owls were denied a penalty in the 63rd minute. A great long ball by Palmer allowed Antonio to bustle past Robinson. He then tried to take the ball around Bywater and both went down - the result only a corner.

Millwall, however, were taking the game to Wednesday at every opportunity and Johnson and Gardner had to defend well. Maguire replaced the largely ineffective Nuhiu in the 68th minute and went to the right flank, with Antonio moved to the centre.

With the Owls still unable to put the game to bed, a ripple of unease went through the crowd after Millwall created a chance. It was a warning to Wednesday that they needed a second goal.

Frustration overwhelmed Owls fans when, after Millwall pressure, a linesman signalled a penalty for what looked a foul by Helan on Chaplow, and the referee gave it after a consultation. KEOGH kidded Kirkland, slotting the ball centrally as the keeper dived to his left, in the 87nd minute.

Pressure in more than six added minutes failed to reward Wednesday with a first win of the season.