Notts Forest v Sheffield Wednesday.....Nejc Pecnik
Notts Forest v Sheffield Wednesday.....Nejc Pecnik

SHEFFIELD Wednesday were beaten by an own goal as their disappointing season continued with defeat at Nottingham Forest.

Madine wasted no time in making his presence felt when he struck a low drive from 30 yards. Camp pushed it around the post for a corner and two minutes later, he beat away a powerful effort from Bothroyd at his near post after Antonio provided the assist.

For the first time in weeks,

Midfielder Cohen headed wastefully across goal for Forest in the first minute but the Owls set off at a high tempo, exciting their fans who got in the spirit of “Semedo Day” by singing about their hero and with many displaying red and green.

Wednesday were determined to sieze the initiative and they forced a series of set pieces at which they were always a threat but were denied by some rugged Forest defending.

From one Bothroyd corner, Madine had a header blocked then the defenders got in the way of Pecnik’s shot. From a long Antonio throw in Madine headed wide and the striker was also denied by a great challenge from right back Moloney in front of goal after Antonio had sent in a great cross after a lovely forward pass by Semedo created space.

After the break Bothroyd had the confidence to go for goal after a long run but his shot lacked any real power and was easily dealt with by Camp. Kirkland had a lot more trouble with a dipping and fiercely struck effort from the edge of the box from Cohen.

Wednesday proceeded to take command of the game with four strikes at goal in the space of a few moments and should have taken the lead. Johnson cut in from the right to fire in a left foot shot that Camp could only push out and the keeper was lucky that the ball didn’t fall to a Wednesday player.

Then Bothroyd missed an attempted half volley in the box and then moments later after Antonio and Jones, who pulled the ball back from the byline, made the opening.

Bothroyd rounded off this passage of play showing great strength, determination and pace in a long run to the byline where he pulled the ball back to Johnson who blasted over the bar from eight yards out.

Llera tried one of his free kick specialities from 30 yards but his effort hit the wall. Wednesday fans - officially numbered 4,405 - were in great voice and must have sensed their team had every chance of some reward but they were jolted by a cruel in the 74th minute.

Cohen whipped in a diagonal cross from the right and the ball took a slight deflection before it hit LLERA who was diving to try and clear but only succeeded in heading the ball firmly past Kirkland.

Wednesday took off Jones and sent on Mayor, switching Johnson to left back.

Mayor beat a man, in a fine run down the inside right channel and finished with a shot past the angle but the Owls had late escapes with Lansbury scooping a chance over the bar, Cohen sidefooting a better opportunity wide and Gardner having to make a superb tackle on Sharp in the box.

Llera’s misery was compounded when he was booked for a foul in the last minute of normal time.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Moloney, Collins, Ward, Halford, Gillett, Cohen, Jenas, Reid, Blackstock, Sharp. Subs: Darlow, Guedioura, MCGugan, Cox, Coppinger, Lansbury, Ayala.

Sheffield Wednesday: Kirkland, Buxton, Llera, Gardner, Jones, Semedo, Barkley, Pecnic, Antonio, Bothroyd, Madine. Subs: Bywater, Taylor, Mattock, Mayor, McCabe, Johnson (J), Rodri.

Referee: Andy Woolmer, Northamptonshire