Full time: Brighton 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Brighton's Andrew Crofts  (left) takes a shot past Sheffield Wednesday's Michail Antonio. Pic: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire.
Brighton's Andrew Crofts (left) takes a shot past Sheffield Wednesday's Michail Antonio. Pic: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire.

A last minute equaliser by Brighton has left Sheffield Wednesday still searching for their first victory this season.

A goal by on loan striker Matty Fryatt on 43 minutes had given the Owls the lead at half time on the south coast but Keith Andrews pounced in the 89th minute to level.

The 22nd-placed team were taking on middle of the table Seagulls at the AMEX Stadium looking for their first win of the campaign after losing four and drawing four.

They were up against a team buoyed by the return of top scorer Leonardo Ulloa, back after a three-game ban.

Wednesday gave a first start to on-loan striker Matty Fryatt who came off the bench in the home defeat to Doncaster.

Right-back Lewis Buxton also started, after knee problems.

While Wednesday defender Miguel Angel Llera was making his 150th English league appearance.

There was nothing much between the two teams in the opening exchanges but Brighton nearly took the lead when Ulloa broke clear only to be denied by Wednesday keeper Chris Kirkland.

With Wednesday acquitting themselves well and preventing the home team from finding any rhythm they were rewarded in the 43rd minute when Fryatt sent the travelling Owls fans wild with a cool finish.

Oscar Garcia, the Brighton manager, brought on Will Buckley for Inigo Calderon at half time and then the injured Ulloa was forced off to be replaced by Kemy Agustien.

And Garcia had to make his final substitution by the 57th minute when Ashely Barnes came on for David Lopez.

In an attacking moved Wednesday boss Dave Jones brought off midfielder Giles Coke and brought on Jermaine Johnson with 23 minutes to play.

Wednesday almost extended their lead as the match went into the final 15 minutes when Jeremy Helan was denied by Seagulls’ keeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

Liam Palmer replaced Fryatt and Rhys McCabe came on for Stephen McPhail as Jones looked to see out the match.

After Andrews’ goal Michail Antonio had a late chance but shot straight at Kuszczak.


Seagulls: Kuszczak, Saltor, Greer, Upson, Andrews, Crofts, Calderon, Ward, Lopez, LuaLua, Ulloa. Subs: Brezovan, El-Abd, Barnes, Austien, Conway, Buckley, Ince.

Owls; Kirkland, Buxton, Roger Johnson, Llera, Reda Johnson, Antonio, Semedo, McPhail, Coke, Helan, Fryatt. Subs: Dawson, Zayatte, Maghoma, J Johnson, McCabe, Palmer, Nuhiu.

Ref: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)