Full time: Sheffield Wednesday 0 Norwich City 0

New Owls  player on the bench Gary Taylor-Fletcher
New Owls player on the bench Gary Taylor-Fletcher

The Owls weathered a second half Norwich storm thanks to hero Keiren Westwood to secure back-to-back goalless draws.

After a first half in which they had the edge, Wednesday found themselves largely on the back foot after the break and needed a series of stunning saves from Westwood to keep the visitors out.

Owls skipper Glenn Loovens beats City's Cameron Jerome

Owls skipper Glenn Loovens beats City's Cameron Jerome

The Republic of Ireland international could count five exceptional stops among a brilliant afternoon’s work which ensured Wednesday’s returning defensive solidity continued.

But there will be increasing concern about the continuing lack of threat from the Owls at the other end of the pitch. Barring a couple of good first half chances, there was little to truly threaten Canaries keeper John Ruddy.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher earned his Wednesday debut off the bench in the second half on the day he was brought in on loan from Leicester City.

But the forward could not spark anything of real note as the Owls’ hopes of victory waned.

The Owls had enjoyed the better of the play in the opening 45 minutes.

Though the visitors were the quieter side, it took two excellent stops from Westwood to keep them at bay.

First, on 13 minutes, he showed excellent reactions to deny former Rotherham striker Lewis Grabban.

A speculative header forward from Michael Turner released Grabban completely free into the area but Westwood charged off his line to block ten yards from goal.

And on 34 minutes, Westwood was on hand again, darting across his goal to keep out a superb curling free kick from Bradley Johnson, struck from 25 yards.

To have found themselves behind would have been unfortunate for Wednesday who enjoyed much the better of the possession and crafted numerous chances of their own in the opening 45 minutes.

Interplay in midfield was excellent with Chris Maguire playing at the bottom of a diamond while Claude Dielna - on his first start in for the suspended Joe Mattock - added extra attacking impetus from left back.

The Owls threatened as early as the second minute with Maguire targeting Atdhe Nuhiu with a cross from the right only for Norwich keeper Ruddy to nip in ahead and claim the ball.

Wednesday really ought to have been in front after eight minutes with May missing a glorious chance.

Brilliant interplay on the left involving Jeremy Helan and Jose Semedo saw Dielna played into space close to the byline. The Frenchman whipped in a cross to May who powered a header wide under little pressure.

Kieran Lee went close with a superb chance midway through the half.

Helan sent a fine ball into the box from deep with Nuhiu’s cushioned header putting the ball on a plate for Lee, who chested and volleyed on goal only to send it over the bar.

And Lee was on hand again moments later to get on the end of a Nuhiu pass.

The big Austrian forward chased a lost cause and skipped past several challenges in the box before tamely squaring, allowing Ruddy to smother the ball ahead of Lee.

Norwich settled into the game more as half time approached, setting up a tantilising second period.

And the visitors built from their platform with a strong second half show.

Russell Martin headed agonisingly wide from eight yards out as he met an inswinging free kick from substitute Gary O’Neil.

Wednesday were given a timely boost by the arrivals of Taylor-Fletcher and Royston Drenthe for Nuhiu and Maguire.

Claude Dielna lofted the ball over the top, Taylor-Fletcher got ahead of his marker and brought the ball down but John Ruddy dashed out to claim.

Liam Palmer struck the sidenetting from an acute angle after a neat backheel from May.

But it took a stunning save from Westwood to keep the visitors out on 70 minutes.

Another inswinging free kick from O’Neil evaded everyone and looked set to creep in at the far post only for Westwood to appear and hook the ball off the line.

And the Owls keeper was the hero again on 76 minutes with another superb stop.

Martin Olsson got beyond Palmer and delivered a cross to the near post where Cameron Jerome struck a side-foot volley that Westwood somehow managed to keep out.

Norwich looked increasingly threatening as the second half wore on.

And Martin really should have given them the lead on 82 minutes. He rose unmarked to meet a Nathan Redmond corner but scuffed his header wide from seven yards.

Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Dielna (Maghoma 79), Maguire (Drenthe 57), Semedo, Lee, Helan, May, Nuhiu (Taylor-Fletcher 57). Subs not used: Kirkland, Coke, Madine, Hope.

Norwich: Ruddy, Whittaker, Johnson (Redmond 67), Martin, Turner, Grabban, Howson, Jerome, Olsson, Tettey, Odjidja-Ofoe (O’Neil 46). Subs not used: Rudd, Hooper, Hooiveld, Miquel, Murphyl.

Referee: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire)

Cards: Yellow: Maguire 42, Helan 45, Semedo 90 (all Wednesday), Johnson 30, Turner 50, Tettey 90 (all Norwich)