Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY made it seven wins in a row at Hillsborough to start the season with a comfortable victory over Colchester.

The Owls spent more time around their penalty area than in the opposite one in these early portions of the game and after a patient move by the visitors, the right back Wilson shot over the top from 20 yards.

Wednesday looked most dangerous though when utilising long throws and thought they had taken the lead from one of these by Marshall. As the ball was volleyed home from a crowded area at the near post, and it looked like Madine’s final touch, but it was disallowed for a foul by someone in the mass of bodies.

Wednesday could now consider themselves to be on top of the match. Marshall again opened up the defence and could have pulled the ball back to O’Grady but decided to shoot and miskicked.

Lines tested Williams with a free kick from 22 yards. The keeper was equal to it, going down to his right to make a competent save. With Marshall once again in possession, he should have delivered an early cross from the left, but once again attempted to shoot and this time the ball was blocked.

The visitors had done very little going forward other than the first few minutes but created a chance just before the half time break.

As at the Sheffield derby, O’Connor was replaced by Jermaine Johnson at half time. The sub slotted in to the left wing, with Marshall moving to the right hand side. Johnson was soon involved, playing a fine ball up to O’Grady who forced a corner.

Marshall yet again had the defence on the back foot, cutting in from the right and seeing his near post shot pushed away for a corner by Williams.

The corner brought a chance from which Madine should have bagged his 12th goal of the season.

Marshall took it on the right, it was half cleared at the far post straight to the centre forward who hit the bar from around six yards out with a left foot effort.

Two minutes later, in the 59th minute Wednesday at last made the breakthrough that they had always threatened to score. Lines played a crisp ball up to the feet of Madine, who checked inside on to his left foot and from the edge of the box struck a powerful left foot shot. Williams could only beat it out and JONES planted the ball in to the net from 12 yards.

The crowd were roused and there seemed to be a new spring in Wednesday step as Colchester full back Corker was booked for bring down Buxton as the right back was set to break free. O’Grady did get clear in the 63rd minute and almost notched his second goal in as many games. His shot was hard and true but Williams sprang to his right, pushing the effort away once more.

When Wednesday had some defending to do and did it well, without suffering any real alarms. They had relentless attitude about them and came forward again to tighten their grip on the game.

O’Grady was fouled by Wilson, who was booked. Lines delivered the free kick in from the left towards the far post area, where Madine had a free header, but mistimed it. The ball was blocked but came out to REDA JOHNSON, who knocked it home from close range for his second goal in his last three games in the 70th minute.

Wednesday pressed forward looking for the third goal and O’Grady brought a sound save from Williams.

For a full report, plus match pix, see the Green’Un