Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.
Owls: Sheffield Wednesday news, reports and more with The Star.

From the off, Wednesday powered forward and the atmosphere was like that of a home game thanks to the vocal away supporters, who were applauded by the players before the kick off.

The Wednesday following also had a decent shout for a penalty in the first minute when Marshall drove the ball in to the box and left back Basey seemed to block it with his arm.

Harris playing on the left flank showed signs of dangerous play many early attempts to pierce the Owls defence were repelled with Jones in particular looking commanding on the deck and in the air.

Marshall again appealed for a penalty when his shot bounced back off a defender but this did not look intentional.

Lowe had shown a subtle touch earlier and was involved in a neat link up with O’Grady, receiving a return ball and hitting a shot that was saved at the near post.

A minute later, in the 23rd minute, Lowe had another shot blocked then steered an effort against the post, when the ball bounced out, SEMEDO placed a shot in to the keepers top left hand corner, to claim his first goal for the Owls.

From a left wing cross by Marshall and a scramble ended with a shot by O’Grady deflected just past the post.

O’Connor joined in with a left foot shot that flew over the bar. Wednesday’s fans were having a whale of a time but they were left stunned by an equaliser in the 29th minute.

IBE, at 15 the youngest player ever to play for Wycombe, showed no fear as he ran at the Wednesday defence down the inside right channel and the striker lashed a shot in to Bywaters top left hand corner from just inside the box.

The debut making youngster could not contain himself and ran off the pitch in his celebration which earned him a booking.

Ainsworth protested to the referee and within seconds chopped down Marshall to earn himself a booking.

The Owls picked up where they had left off and regained a deserved lead in the 35th minute. Semedo crossed from the right to the far post where LOWE had lost his marker to direct a perfect header across goal in the far top corner. The striker ran to the dug out to celebrate and gave a hug to physio Paul Smith who had helped him overcome his ankle injury.

rike from 30 yards.

Half Time:

Wycombe 1 Wednesday 2

O’Grady did very well, twisting and turning with his back to goal and making room for a shot on the turn that flew inches past the angle.

Ibe again had the confidence to take on the Wednesday defence in a diagonal run from the left but a firm tackle by Batth ended it.

There was also sound defending from Reynolds in a challenge on Ainsworth and with a header to clear a corner.

Wednesday were inches away from making it 3-1. After a foul on O’Grady, Marshall took the free kick and smacked the underside of the bar from 20 yards.

The Owls must have fancied their chances of at least holding on or increasing their lead and they were helped in the 73rd minute when Ainsworth, already oked for a foul on Marshall in the first half, committed another bad challenge on Batth and inevitably received his second yellow, followed by the red card reducing Wycombe to ten men.

Morrison took over from Lowe in the 76th minute and was soon involved, helping Semedo to reach the by line, only to see his final ball cut out in a crowded penalty area.

An overlap by Reynolds saw him take a Marshall pass and deliver a good ball that was headed away.

As Wednesday pressed forward again, centre half Winfield was booked for tugging O’Grady’s shirt and from the free kick it should have been 3-1. Lines delivered it, Jones rose in the middle but powered his header over the bar.

Wycombe were still having a go as the game entered 3 additional minutes, the Owls looked comfortable. Then the fourth official appeared to call the referee to the touchline and after words with Gary Megson the referee sent the manager off down the tunnel, presumably for something he said and while Jones was receiving attention for a facial injury at the side of the pitch.

The captain was replaced by Bennett.

For a full report, plus match pix, see the Green’Un