Match report: Huddersfield Town 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Huddersfield Town v Sheffield Wednesday
Huddersfield Town v Sheffield Wednesday

Fernando Forestieri's second half penalty saw Sheffield Wednesday earn an impressive victory and end Huddersfield Town's winning home record.

In front of a record crowd at the John Smith's Stadium, Forestieri's spot kick was enough to see the Owls edge a tight game with the Championship's surprise package.

Referee Graham Scott pointed to the spot after Rajiv Van La Parra handled from a Tom Lees shot on 68 minutes.

It was reward for an excellently controlled performance from Wednesday who showed superb tactical discipline to stifle a side which thrives on a high pressing game.

Midfielders Kieran Lee and David Jones were in particular superb, marshalling a rigid line of four in the middle of the park while Gary Hooper put in arguably his best performance of the season as a focal point.

Jones came in as one of four changes made by Carlos Carvalhal to the side that lost to Brighton and Hove Albion before the international break.

Steven Fletcher was absent with his pregnant wife due to give birth imminently while Jack Hunt, Ross Wallace and Glenn Loovens all dropped to the bench. In came Gary Hooper, Liam Palmer, Jones and Sam Hutchinson.

It was a positive start from Wednesday who went on the front foot early.

A superb touch and turn sent Fernando Forestieri scarpering clear on the left before he chipped in a cross which eventually found its way to Kieran Lee whose shot was deflected wide.

From the subsequent corner, Daniel Pudil hooked the ball back across goal and it found its way back out to Jones, who struck the bar with his returned cross.

And moments later, Forestieri clipped a ball over the top which Hooper could only scuff straight at Danny Ward.

The game soon settled as expected, with the hosts dominating possession.

Wednesday elected to sit off and allow Huddersfield's back line to keep the ball. But the Owls showed excellent organisation to charge forward into a press whenever Town brought the ball into their half.

It made for a half of few chances, though the hosts looked the more threatening.

Jones superbly cut out a low centre from Rajiv Van La Parra while Aaron Mooy smashed over the bar from the subsequent corner.

Elias Kachunga created a nervy moment for Keiren Westwood just after the half hour mark, Receiving the ball with his back to goal, he spun and squeezed a low shot away which Westwood initially fumbled before snatching at the second attempt.

And the Wednesday keeper had to be alert again moments later when Kasey Palmer raced across the face of the box and drilled a low effort which he tipped wide.

Wednesday were the width of the upright from taking the lead just after the break.

Forestieri showed a sublime touch to bring a high ball down and take himself clear before clipping a shot over keeper Ward but back off the upright.

Van La Parra curled wide from the left corner of the box at the other end moments later before Chris Lowe curled a free kick narrowly over the bar from 30 yards.

After a decent spell of pressure, Wednesday were gifted a route to the opening goal on 68 minutes.

From a corner, Tom Lees hooked a shot towards goal that struck Van La Parra's hand. After a lengthy pause, referee Graham Scott pointed to the spot.

Forestieri stepped up and confidently fired high into the top right corner to give Wednesday the lead.

As expected, the pressure from the hosts increased after they fell behind.

Mooy struck a free kick straight into the wall while Pudil headed over the bar after substitute Jack Payne shot towards the near post.

But Wednesday were still dangerous on the break. Lee flicked a ball over the top and Hooper rose to head only to see it deflected wide. From the subsequent corner, Tom Lees headed just wide.

Hooper was well placed to head off the line from a Kachunga shot but Huddersfield were largely kept quiet in the later stages.

Palmer should have made sure of all three points for Wednesday in the dying stages when played in clear by Hooper but he fired straight at Ward.

Huddersfield: Ward, Smith, Hudson, Schindler, Lowe (Hefele 84), Kachunga, Hogg, Mooy, Van La Parra, Palmer (Payne 70), Wells. Subs not used: Coleman, Whitehead, Bunn, Holmes-Dennis, Cranie.

Wednesday: Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Hutchinson, Pudil, Lee, Jones, Bannan (Wallace 57), Reach, Forestieri (Nuhiu 85), Hooper (Loovens 90). Subs not used: Dawson, Hunt, Abdi, Buckley.

Referee: Graham Scott (Oxfordshire)

Attendance: 22,368