Match report: Owls 3 Huddersfield 1

Atdhe Nuhiu holds off Mark Hudson.
Atdhe Nuhiu holds off Mark Hudson.

Three goals in the final 12 minutes helped Sheffield Wednesday come-from-behind to beat Yorkshire neighbours Huddersfield Town 3-1 and boost their play-off hopes.

Goals from substitute Lucas Joao (2) and Kieran Lee stretched the Owls' unbeaten home run to seven matches, cancelling out Sean Scannell's 53rd minute opener.

Fernando Forestieri

Fernando Forestieri

Victory moves Wednesday up to eighth, one point shy of the top-six.

With Sam Hutchinson suspended and Barry Bannan injured, Carvalhal was forced into making two enforced changes to his midfield. He handed recalls to Jose Semedo and Jeremy Helan.

Carvalhal also mixed up his forward line, preferring Atdhe Nuhiu over Gary Hooper.

After an impeccably observed minute's silence to remember the victims of the terror attacks in Paris last week, the visitors made most of the early running, dominating possession without seriously looking capable of hurting Wednesday.

However, Carvalhal's side created the first real chance of note after 15 minutes, with Fernando Forestieri sending a diving header narrowly wide after good build-up play by Nuhiu and Ross Wallace.

Moments later, Kyle Dempsey, deployed in an unfamiliar left-back role, tried his luck from distance but Keiren Westwood was equal to it, blocking the strike with his feet.

Neither side had many sights at goal in the opening half an hour on a bitterly cold afternoon at Hillsborough.

Harry Bunn and Jeremy Helan went in the referee's notebook before Wallace's low drive from just outside the penalty area was comfortably gathered by Joe Murphy.

It was a scrappy, disjointed half and it was no surprise Carvalhal decided to throw on newly-capped Portuguese international Lucas Joao at half-time.

It didn't take Joao long to make his presence felt as the Angolan-born forward fired wide from an acute angle following a fine delivery to the back post by Wallace.

Murphy had to be alert to stop Forestieri, who was moved to the left flank to accommodate Joao, putting the Owls ahead in the 49th minute. The experienced goalkeeper raced off his line to bravely deny Forestieri after a poor Mark Hudson back pass. The meaty challenge hurt Murphy but he was able to continue after receiving treatment for several minutes.

After Scannell's opener, Wednesday almost hit back immediately through Wallace after a great burst by Nuhiu but the winger's strike was cleared off the line by Whitehead.

The Terriers threatened to grab a second when Scannell fed Emyr Huws, who tamely cureld a shot straight at Westwood.

It took a stunning save by Westwood to foil Huws after the Welsh international showed some neat footwork in the penalty area as the Terriers continued to carry the greater attacking threat.

But Wednesday broke Huddersfield's hearts by levelling things up in the 78th minute, Joao rifling home from close range after Dempsey had heroically hacked Forestieri's shot off the line.

The hosts had all the momentum and Gary Hooper flashed a shot wide before Glenn Loovens saw his header hooked away by Joe Lolley.

It was Lee who completed the turnaround in the 83rd minute, claiming his third goal of the campaign after Forestieri had been thwarted by Murphy.

As Huddersfield pushed more and more numbers forward, it left them short of cover at the back and Joao capitalised in added on time, curling a superb right foot drive out of Murphy's reach after more good play by Forestieri.

Wednesday: Westwood; Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Pudil; Wallace, Lee, Semedo (McGugan 67), Helan (Joao HT); Forestieri, Nuhiu (Hooper 72). Substitutes: Wildsmith, Palmer, Sougou, Dielna.

Huddersfield: Murphy; Smith, Cranie, Hudson, Dempsey; Scannell (Lolley 78), Whitehead (Hogg 63), Huws, Carayol (Wallace 90); Bunn, Wells, Dempsey. Substitutes: Allison, Holmes, Chilwell, Bojaj.

Attendance: 21,191

For more news from Hillsborough click here