Owls FT: Sheffield Wednesday 1 Yeovil 1

editorial image

Sheffield Wednesday had to be content with a draw against 10-man Yeovil despite taking a first half lead.

Backed by a very small but enthusiastic following, Yeovil showed that they were not going to meekly provide Wednesday with their first win of the season.

Any hopes that Owls fans had of instant excitement were dashed in a low-key start and a scare in only the second minute, in front of the Kop.

Striker Williams beat Llera on the left side of the box; fortunately there was cover behind him and the low cross was cleared.

The Owls were also hit on the break in the build-up to Upson providing Kirkland with a simple save.

A long-range header by Nuhiu was easy for Hennessey, as well, but the Glovers made the first chance: Kirkland did well to half-stop a close-range shot at his near post by Hayter, and Zayatte was behind him to clear from the goalmouth.

But Wednesday could have taken the lead: Spence delivered a fine ball from the right and Antonio sent a free header over the bar from seven yards.

The Owls could not really get a grip on the game - hence the atmosphere was subdued, with some murmurs of impatience coming from the crowd.

It could have been worse: Ryall hit the target with a good strike, and Kirkland went down to his right to push the ball around the post - a typical save from the Owls’ August Player of the Month.

But Wednesday took the lead controversially in the 24th minute.

A flag was up but the ref waved play on, and Antonio was in the clear to square the ball for NUHIU, unmarked, to tap home his second goal for the club.

Mr Eltringham signalled a goal.

Yeovil players surrounded the linesman in front of the North Stand, then the referee had a long consultation with him - and pointed to the centre spot, so the goal stood. Visiting players were clearly furious.

Four minutes later a great save by Kirkland denied Williams, the keeper stretching backwards to finger-tip the striker’s header to safety.

The visitors sought the initiative and it remained an unconvincing performance so far by the Owls, though they might have made it two when Nuhiu missed narrowly, with a header from an excellent left-wing cross by Antonio.

The action erupted again when Nuhiu and centre half Webster tussled and both ended on the deck, on the touchline in front of the South Stand.

An arm seemed to come up and strike Nuhiu - who reacted angrily and had to be held back, as players from both sides jumped in to keep the peace.

The ref showed the red card to Webster, in the 41st minute, then booked Nuhiu.

A bad mistake by Llera let Williams run free, but Zayatte came to the rescue. And Kirkland’s third save of the half, full length from an Upson free kick, came in stoppage time.

TV at half-time confirmed that Webster was sent off for hitting Nuhiu, and replays cast some light on the goal controversy.

It looked as if the flag was up for offside against Nuhiu in the build-up. But he did not touch the ball, and the pass was aimed for Antonio, who ran on and crossed for Nuhiu to score. Yeovil evidently stopped because the flag was up, but the referee waved play on.

Becasue of Webster’s dismisal, Yeovil had sacrificed their second striker, Hayter, and sent on Fontaine at centre half. But they still had too much possession for Owls’ fans’ liking, early in the second half..

Nuhiu clipped an 18-yard shot just past the angle after good work from Palmer and Antonio.

Wednesday sent on Jermaine Johnson in place of Palmer, no doubt seeking extra attacking thrust, but within seconds they were pegged back, in the 64th minute.

As they defended in their box, the ball came out to midfielder RYALLS and from 18 yards he smacked a fine left-foot shot into Kirkland’s bottom left-hand corner.

It ended a run of four league games without a goal for Yeovil and was only their second of the season.

Wednesday were unable to take control of the game, while the Glovers seemed unaffected by being down to 10 men.

The visitors had a lucky escape however: Antonio received a Spence cross and hit a shot that Hennessey fumbled on to his left-hand post.

Semedo’s arrival in central midfield, in place of Prutton, may have stemmed from the fact that the midfielder had been hurt a little earlier in stretching into a challenge.

The home crowd seethed with frustration over their team’s lack of quality, creativity and attacking threat.

A few boos came from the stands when Yeovil had another half chance - driven over the bar by sub Dawson as he was closed down.

Maghoma’s introduction in place of Helan in the 80th minute was the last attempt at injecting some sparkle into the Owls, who applied late pressure.

There were four added minutes, and Wednesday huffed and puffed, but that first win of the season still eluded them.

Boos erupted from home areas at the final whistle.