Owls on the right lines

FA CUP 1ST ROUND....Morecambe v Owls.....GOAL....Chris Lines celebrates goal
FA CUP 1ST ROUND....Morecambe v Owls.....GOAL....Chris Lines celebrates goal

GARY Megson is happy to have deprived the TV cameras of a shock result and to have booked a home tie in the FA Cup second round after seeing off League Two outfit Morecambe.

Even a controversial penalty decision which eroded a two-goal lead for the Owls at the Globe Arena failed to upset the Wednesday boss unduly as he looked forward to a Hillsborough clash with Maidenhead or Aldershot and the real prospect of a place in the third round.

He said: “I’m pleased we’ve got through to the next round. The cameras were at our game because the TV people thought there could be a shock.

“Several other League One clubs have gone out in the first round, it was vitally important that didn’t happen to us.

“We want to play at Hillsborough, which is the main thing. It will be an occasion for either of those teams. The expectations will be on us, regardless, but we want to play in front of our own crowd, and we have seen the backing that we can get.”

Megson was uhappy with a handball penalty decision against Chris Lines, which came soon after the Owls were refused a penalty for handball after a Gary Madine header hit a defender. He said: “They either both were or both weren’t penalties, because they were very similar.”

Megson felt that the Owls could have had the game sewn up by half time instead of leading only 1-0 through Lines’s first goal for the club.

The manager also said: “It was a good goal. I thought Chris played ever so well. I spoke to him on Saturday and said he needed to up his game and get back to how he was. He’d settled down too much.

“This was a good performance from him, when he was in possession and not in possession.”

Chris O’Grady made it 2-0 early in the second half.

Megson said: “In the first half we played some good stuff. Conditions played a major part. If you were playing with the wind, it enabled you pen the opposition in their half.”

Captain Rob Jones missed the game after having a minor operation on his nose, which has been repeatedly broken, Megson hopes he will be available for Saturday’s match at Tranmere.