Result: Sheffield Wednesday 1 Reading 0

editorial image

Striker Stevie May claimed his third goal since moving to Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday beat Reading 1-0 to seal their first Championship home win of the season.

Chris Maguire slipped a lovely pass into the path of Stevie May in the 10th minute only for the Scotland Under-21 international to drag his effort from an acute angle well wide.

Owls Giles Coke beats Charlton's Hope Akpan

Owls Giles Coke beats Charlton's Hope Akpan

The Scotland Under-21 international, an £800,000 acquisition from St Johnstone last month, slammed in a deflected free-kick in the 83rd minute after Jake Cooper had been penalised for handball just outside Reading’s penalty area.

It is Wednesday’s first victory on their patch in the league since March 25.

Wednesday (4-4-2): Westwood; Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Mattock; Maguire, Semedo, Coke, Maghoma; Nuhiu, May. Substitutes: Kirkland, Buxton, Helan, Zayatte, Madine, Hope, Dielna.

Reading: (4-4-2): Andersen; Gunter, Cooper, Pearce, Obita; Taylor, Akpan, Norwood, Blackman, Cox, Murray. Substitutes: Lincoln, Pogrebnyak, Guthrie, Edwards, Mackie, Kuhl, Long.

Referee: Mark Heywood (West Yorkshire).

Fresh from winning four on the spin, Reading looked confident in the early stages and created the first meaningful opportunity when Simon Cox freed his strike partner Glenn Murray, an Owls transfer target last season, but the big target man, on loan from Crystal Palace until January, saw his shot deflected behind for a corner.

Chris Maguire slipped a lovely pass into the path of Stevie May in the 10th minute only for the Scotland Under-21 international to drag his effort from an acute angle well wide.

Cox dispossessed Owls skipper Glenn Loovens deep inside the hosts half and burst forward at pace before putting a in lovely cross which Murray some how side-footed off target from close range.

Reading skipper Chris Gunter was lucky to escape a booking after a poor tackle on Jacques Maghoma. There were ironic cheers from the home fans towards the referee after he awarded Wednesday a free-kick after Jake Taylor fouled Atdhe Nuhiu, with Joe Mattock curling the resulting set-piece over.

The visitors wasted a glorious opportunity to take the lead just after the hour mark when referee Mark Heywood pointed to the spot after Giles Coke bundled over Murray. Coke was yellow carded for the clumsy challenge. Murray stepped up to take the penalty but, with his legs, Keiren Westwood denied him from 12 yards and the Republic of Ireland international caught the follow up.

On the counter attack, Maghoma unleashed a weak effort which failed to trouble Reading shot-stopper Mikkel Andersen as Wednesday quickly regained their composure following the penalty decision.

May, seeking his first home goal, tried his luck on the stroke of half-time but he drilled off target.

Wednesday lacked ideas in the final third for long periods of the first half. But they showed their attacking intent after the break, with Joe Mattock seeing his goal-bound attempt hacked away from near the goal-line after a lovely corner routine by Chris Maguire.

Gray’s men had a big penalty appeal turned in the 53rd minute as Nuhiu appeared to be brought down by Jake Cooper after Maghoma whipped in a teasing delivery but Heywood was not interested.

But the Owls were not having it all their own way and Westwood had to be alert to parry Cooper’s close range header after Alex Pearce nodded Oliver Norwood’s corner towards the near post.

Another Norwood corner almost led to the opener, with Murray’s looping header striking the crossbar.

Gray threw on Hope in place of Coke to try and swing the contest Wednesday’s way.

Nuhiu, the Owls top-scorer, steered a volley well wide after a lovely low cross by May. Mid-way through the half, it was May who raced on to Nuhiu’s clever pass and he fired narrowly off target from distance.

With 19 minutes left, Sheffield United striker Nick Blackman came close to breaking the deadlock but his low drive deflected inches wide after Wednesday only partially cleared a corner.

May had a penalty claim waved away by Heywood after he went down under a challenge by Cooper but the official waved play on.

Then Blackman saw a fierce long range free-kick superbly palmed to safety by Westwood.

Reading were made to pay for that miss when May opened the scoring late on. It could have got even better for Wednesday had Andersen not kept out Tom Lee’s powerful downward header while Hope volleyed over Semedo’s great cross.